Glow plug Replacement

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I did a search on this topic and only saw info on the powerstroke. Can anyone tell me if any special tools are needed and any tips on changing the glow plugs on a 7.3 IDI motor ?? Looks like it's just disconnecting the wire and unscrewing them. Is it just that simple ?? :dunno

Great website and lots of good info. Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Provided that they were Beru's and not some other brand with swollen tips. If so then "that easy" turns into "that nightmare".

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some PB blaster or other penetrating lubricant are helpful to loosen them up. Other than that a 3/8 deepwell as well as some extensions including a wobble will get it done quick. 1/4 drive is easier, 3/8 drive extensions will work as well though. If one is stuck or hard to get out, don't force it, or a broken tip could fall down into the cylinder and the head then has to come off.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.............. Got the Motorcraft ZD9's at Checker today for $5.60 per plug. Can't beat that !!! :D I don't think the store manager was to thrilled about having to honor that price but after bringing in the ad off their website, he didn't have a choice.

Do you use any anti-sieze on the glowplugs when re-installing ? How many FT LBS do you torque them too ??

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.............. Got the Motorcraft ZD9's at Checker today for $5.60 per plug. Can't beat that !!! :D I don't think the store manager was to thrilled about having to honor that price but after bringing in the ad off their website, he didn't have a choice.

Do you use any anti-sieze on the glowplugs when re-installing ? How many FT LBS do you torque them too ??

just a little antisieze at the threads, 10 ft lbs. you can use a fuel hose to get them started in the opening(some of them are hard to get into)
1/4 bendable extension and a real deep 1/4" 3/8 socket will make it easy.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PB Blaster and Anti Seize are the only specialty tools needed for these, providing they don't break off from swelling.

I like that price you paid. I may have to consider a replacement myself.