Glow plug questions

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got myself 8 brand new motorcraft zd9 glowplugs today( finally)
Guess it took me getting stranded at school for me to finally get some new ones.
Anyways have 5 of them installed got dark so gonna Finnish up tomorrow.
Question is.
If the 8 new plugs don't solve my problem of no glowplugs what else could be causing it? The controller has maybe 11 starts on it( that was way back in januray) then it did some funky crap truck was running wait to start light was blinking and u could hear the controller clicking kept doing that for awhile. Shut truck off and haven't had glow plugs sense.
So did I burn out my controller?
If so how hard is it to install a switch for glow plugs.
Is there anything else that would cause them to not work maybe the harness?? It did get pushed around alot durnin turbo install.
Thanks guys.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was fast:D
Yup tested them all 8 were bad. They were champions btw if that matters.
I'll try grounding it to something else. Right now it's actually grounded to the cdr.
Is there a way to test the controller.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is how to bypass the controller and use a switch. seems quite easy.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8776

here is my thread about my gp problems on FTE.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110673-no-click-from-glow-plugs.html

Thanks Eric.
Gonna try a did ground and rePlacing last 3 plugs wiggle some wires around and see what I get.
If I go to a push button will I have to replace the controller if it's bad?
Sorry about so many questions.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn trying to save some money..
Can't go without plugs ether. Had to get in a friends jeep to to get my generator to put the truck on the block heater...grr

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's 70 bucks I don't have right now tho.
Might have to break down and do it tho ugh...
Thanks again Eric.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
That's 70 bucks I don't have right now tho.
Might have to break down and do it tho ugh...
Thanks again Eric.

yep, i know what you mean.

i was thinking more about the need for the controler with a switch in the cab.
i don't see why you would need the controler. that is the whole point of the mod, to bypass the controller and not have to worry about it. the controller becomes your finger.

i think all you would need you be a good ground, a constant 12V power, a switched 12v power(that would be your switch in the cab), and then a feed going to the glow plugs. I don't see why we couldn't just get the glow plug relay and bolt it to the mounting bracket on the valve cover and wire it up.:dunno

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking right there.
As long as it has a good ground and a good power source the controller is esitanly your finger now. I'm all for doing some wiring if it'll save me from buying a controller. I have gobs of wires inthe garage.
Be really nice to just ditch the controller all toghter and have power going to switch. Obviously switch would cut power and when flipped it sends power to the plugs.
Haven't thought to much about what it'd take but that'd be one less thing to fail...right?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally like to keep things as stock as possible, but a manual glowplug system is not one that I like stock. My relay wouldn't keep the plugs on long enough, even with 8 brand new berus, and I got tired of cycling the key and trying to trick it. One manual switch later and have been happy since. As far as I understand, the controller is no longer necessary, just a good solenoid and a signal to trip it from your switch. Make sure your switch is a momentary switch, so you have to physically push it to have them on, or you're asking to burn them out. When my glowplug relay went out, I replaced it with a starter relay that I happened to have on hand. I didn't intend to leave it on, because I was told it would have a very short life that way. But 2 years and 20,000 miles later its still starting every time. Starter relays are cheaper than glowplug relays. I've got a spare in the toolbox just in case.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you wire your manula switch up?
So a starter relay works?
I just happen to have one sitting in the garage..
You have any pics?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another dumb question.
What's the difference between the controller and the relay on the glow Plug system and how do I test them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin