Glow Plug Questions

Spooky

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding my glow plugs but first I feel I should introduce myself. My real name is Randy and I just purchased my first diesel, a 2wd, 1985 Ford F-250 flatbed with a 6.9 and a C6.

When I bought it the guy told me the glow plug system needed work which was fine because he included 8 new plugs and a new relay but he suggested that I wire a manual switch to it. If I do this do I need to replace the glow plug controller? And what kind of switch should I buy? (I'm not a wiring guy so I don't know what to look for)

I was also wondering if there is any other routine maintenance that needs to be done at around 150,000 miles?

Thanks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the old controller first. The main relay which you will still be using is usually ok. Get a momentary pushbutton switch.

At 150,000 I would check the small rubber lines that go between the injectors. If they still have grey paint on them, I would replace the lines and the o-rings on the injectors.

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
I just did the bypass he was talkin about yesterday.
Go to your local jobber and buy a heavy duty continuous duty solenoid. It should have a heavy post on each side, and two smaller ones on the front.
Also get some heavy (I used 8g) wire, a two post momentary switch, an inline fuse, and some lighter (I went 14g) wire.
You extend the GP harness main legs (where all 4 GP leads from each side tie into one bigger wire), using the heavy wire you bought. This gets connected to one of the big posts on the solenoid, doesn't matter which one, it works the same either way.
Run a good ground from one of the small posts to frame/body of the truck.
Run another length of the heavy wire from battery to the other big post.
Now you're all ready except the switch. For this you run a wire from a 12v source to the switch, throwing that inline fuse you bought in there somewhere. Then run another wire from the other post on the switch back to the as yet unoccupied small post on the solenoid.
Pressing the switch will put juice to your glow plugs, bypassing the stock controller.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
using the relay you dont need a hardcore button, i can upload a pic of mine I did so you can hit the GP with the truck off even...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ya and how i got it, i bypassed the controller... just switch to relay, relay to gp's. no problem. if your in salem ever i can give ya a hand ;Sweet