Glow plug question

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is starting hard after sitting over night with temps in the high 60's but even if it has been sitting for hours it fires right up when sitting in the sun and 90 degree weather. Something is obviously wrong. I replaced all of the glow plugs a few months ago and they all still test good. When I go to start it in the morning the plugs only cycle for about 4 to 5 seconds. After sitting out in the sun and 90 some degrees the light does not come on. First thing in the morning shouldn't they cycle for about 10 seconds? After I replaced them they only cycled normally (10 seconds) a couple times. Do I need to replace the controller.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go out and pull the connectors off the glowplugs, and put them back on(all 8). Then check the cycle time. If it cycles longer after that, you have connection problems. Any wiring problems or connection problems, the brain in the controller will not work right. That's why I went to a manual button on mine.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had them all of today when I tested the glow plugs and made sure they were snapped back on good. Could it be the controller? If the controller was bad would it not work at all? I am going to try cleaning off all of the connections on the controller tomorrow. Where is the best place to up a controller?

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just replaced the controller and now it just clicks. The light stays on for a fraction of a second then the relay starts clicking. What should I try next?

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the problem. It was the wire to the battery, replaced it and the glow plugs work perfect. Truck starts right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online