glow plug question

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
What is the difference between the bullet style and flat spade style glow plugs?, that is besides the obvious of course! Reason being is that I just recieved the GPs I ordered off the web, and I guess I didn't look close enough at the description. They are for 88 and up 6.9 & 7.3 they say, and mine is an 85. Is there anything different besides the plugs on top? Can I just crimp some new ends on my harness, or should I suck it up and get the rite ones?
Thanks for any help! Aaron

Last edited:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
If you have to suck it up, I may buy the billet style from you. I'm in the process of changing my GP controller out to the 7.3 style and could always use a spare set of plugs.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. They arent the Burea or however you spell it that everyone say to get. They are Bosch plugs, the # on the plug is 0 250 202 254 783. I was thinking of selling the truck to my brother, and he said just throw a cheep set of GPs in it and a new controler since the old plugs are bad.

I paid $28 for them. If I decide to get the others and you want these, it'll be like $30 total for them with shipping. I can PM you when I figure out what I'm doing if you want me to.

Thanks ~ Aaron

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These won't be as good as the berus but they shouldn't damage anything. You could probably make them work in the 6.9 system with the right connectors if you are using a momentary toggle. I don't know how they would work with the latching relay 6.9 system. Hard to say I don't think anyone has done it.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
These won't be as good as the berus but they shouldn't damage anything. You could probably make them work in the 6.9 system with the right connectors if you are using a momentary toggle. I don't know how they would work with the latching relay 6.9 system. Hard to say I don't think anyone has done it.

so your saying it's not realy worth the hastle. I think I'm just gonna get the rite ones, it's made it all these years without being riged up... guess I'll give it a chance to stay that way. Thanks for the input!

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score

Well I finally tried it... I made some cheap adaptors and put a new controler [the old 6.9 style] in it. Then I put the bullet style [newer style] plugs in and hooked up my new/cheap adaptors I made [keeping the whole thing easly changeable back to the stock setup w/out cutting up the harness...... just incase it didn't work]. Turned the key forward and let em heat up.... and it fired rite off!!!!

So if anyone wanted to know if it would work.....it did!!!!!!:) And I'm glad because I didn't have to eat the cost or sell the GP's that I ordered wrong.