Glow Plug Mystery

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
The problem is deff not the run time. I had the same problem on my 86. Burnt thru couple couple hundred bucks re wiring and new plugs. I setteled on Ac Delcos with a lil pipe tape and they worked great. I burned them 30 seconds when cold out and it fired every time. Have you changed the relay and checked all wiring?

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

Pianoman

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay! I got sidetracked with tires and trying to find a shop in the big city that can align this beast. A quick update, the Wellmans are doing the trick for now. I thought I had a bad one, but with 5-6 second glow time cold and 3 sec warm, I get fast, no smoke starts. I really should put the test light on them again. I would like the part number for the fancy Bosch plugs, if you have it handy, Black Dawg. I don't remember any questionable looking wiring, it's all old and dirty, but nothing so gnarly as the pic Gandalf posted. I'm guessing the wiring could have been replaced at some point. I got this truck with EVERY SINGLE RECIPT ever generated for it. I haven't managed to read that entire novel yet.....

Last edited:

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get why people want to use any other GP but the Motorcraft. They are the only GP I have not seen some sort of problem reported. It's not like the other brands are half of what the Motorcrafts cost.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I don't get why people want to use any other GP but the Motorcraft. They are the only GP I have not seen some sort of problem reported. It's not like the other brands are half of what the Motorcrafts cost.

for the solid state system, yes, there is nothing that works better than the beru. As far as manual systems, there are many plugs that work miles better than the beru plugs.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the part number of the bosch plug is 80034. They are a little slower plug, probably need 20 seconds when it is below freezing. I have not seen one burn out yet.

Pianoman

Reaction score
I did put a set of Berus in first. They lasted about 2 weeks with the manual switch. Every single one went bad. Thanks for the bosch part number Black Dawg! I'll get a set of those if this set pops. Time to start trolling alignment threads now ....

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as manual systems, there are many plugs that work miles better than the beru plugs.

But why would that be? Are the others more resistant to burn-out from over use? I don't see how that can be.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the spade terminal berus can get cooked from one time of being overglowed, the bullet connector berus are much better, but abuse will burn them out. the bosch plug that I suggested is an 11v plug, and from what I have seen just doesnt give up. This is all assuming manual control. With the factory solid state controller and un modded wiring, the bullet berus work great, and for many years (usually).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've had good luck (not luck really, just good use) with ac delco 60g's in my Chevy.
Hooked up where they received 12v.
Ran 15-30 seconds pretty often. Even left the on for an hour one day, still fine.
They're self regulating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have had bad luck (like they broke my stuff) with the 60g plugs. I used them in a 6.2 several years ago, lost #3 glow plug tip, and ruined a good running turbo 6.2 motor. I assumed it was a freak deal, and continued to use them in the next 6.5 motor, and the tips would get burnt off (eventually all the way to the seat). Timing was set correctly, and never had a problem after putting the 80034 plugs in.

Pianoman

Reaction score
But why would that be? Are the others more resistant to burn-out from over use? I don't see how that can be.

Berus are single coil, and must be regulated by the controller. Mine are the spade type, btw. ACDelco 12G and these Wellmans and others are self regulating, IE constant duty. They heat up a little slower, but can stay on like a lightbulb, and never overheat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster