Glow plug harness issues

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally have the engine running and running right.
Now I'm having worry al issues.
On the glowplug harness. The end Connector that the leads back to the cab.
I'm having the melt the two bog yellow power wire problem. As soon as I turn the key. It starts smoking there and starts to melt.
What can I do now?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take them out of the connector and hook them together with some good quality yellow butt connectors. that is a common problem.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
That's what I'll do then.
What would cause it tho? I can't turn my key on without it smoking and melting even worse.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Thanks.
What would cause it tho? I can't turn my key on without it smoking and melting even worse.

Driver,

Small wires (in relation to amperage) and especially small metal mating surfaces (and especially when corroded) in the plastic connector resist electrical flow. When the glow plugs lite, very high current flows thru those 2 wires (and the metal connecting parts). The resistance to current flow creates heat, which therefore melts the plastic.

An alternative to reterminating the yellow wires at the plastic connector is to add a large gauge replacement wire (6 or 8 awg is sufficient but some guys go nuts with even larger) directly from the fender mounted relay to the glow plug controller/relay. The loss of the disconnect at the right valve cover isn't really important - you can readily disconnect at the fender relay. Make sure your lugs are well-connected to the wire.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online