Getting Really Angry At Snapon..

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is a Craftsman and not a SEARS? I've never seen a plastic piece in a Craftsman ratchet. If indeed they are Craftsman, then you've been selling yourself short. Just take them in, and they will replace them on the spot no questions asked. I bought both my boys a Craftsman tool set for Christmas, and Matthias set had 1 9/16" combination wrench that was fine other than the fact that the one end wasn't "bent" quite right. Consequently, it didn't fit in the slot in the carrying case. I took it in, and the guy wasn't sure if he should replace the one tool or the whole set! After a minute of thinking about it, he just grabbed a new one off the shelf and handed it to me and said "all fixed".

It has Craftsman stamped on it. I've been reluctant to go get them swapped out because it involves a trip to the mall, and I hate the mall.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several things in this thread to comment on. First I'll let you know that my wifes' stepfather is a retired snap on dealer who still consults for them. 2 of her uncles are currrently snap on drivers in my area. That said I own maybe 3 snap on tools total. When you need a hard to find tool they are sometimes the only place you will get it. I can get them at cost and still don't buy them. Go figure.

Midnight Rider, I once bought a metric set of wrenches at harbor freight that don't fit ANYTHING. They aren't metric or standard. I used to have a harbor freight around the corner from me and got suckered into going there a time or two.

The only sears near me (within 75 miles) has stopped replacing older craftsman tools that are broken. Consequently I have stopped all craftsman purchases. I have been dissappointed with their ratchets period. I currently only have 1 left working. I don't want any more. I do not like their wrenches. Nuff said.

I contest the Klein tool statement. I prefer Wiha for screwdrivers bar none. I do industrial controls work in the conveyor industry currently and use them everyday. I have some Klein tools and their wire cutter/strippers are great for sure but the ones they sell at the hardware giants are not the same quality as the ones from the electrical supply in my experience.

I have a set of Proto sockets that I bought in 1997. I haven't damaged a one of them yet. The 1/2" ratchet died a couple years ago but the 3/8" is still going strong. They have been in constant use so I am pretty happy with them. Proto has always been Stanley, it was just a professional quality rather than a homeowner grade tool. Not cheap either.

My favorite wrenches were a lucky blind purchase. The name on the tool is Wright. Unknown to me other than my one set they are/were american made. They remind me of the old pre 1992 snap on wrenches before they squared off the corners on the wrench handles. To me they are much more comfortable in my hands than all the other wrenches I've used. Even the SK and Snap on owning guys at my work have commented favorably on them when they've borrowed them. Any one have any info on these?

I have a Snap On Mt480 that I cannot use because I cannot find a Lumy probe for it. I have tapped my snap on resources and they were unable to locate even a used on for me. Oh well. Timing by ear it is. Even the local International dealer (who is awesome in all other aspects by the way) times these engines by ear. I sure would like to get it timed correctly.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I contest the Klein tool statement. I prefer Wiha for screwdrivers bar none. I do industrial controls work in the conveyor industry currently and use them everyday. I have some Klein tools and their wire cutter/strippers are great for sure but the ones they sell at the hardware giants are not the same quality as the ones from the electrical supply in my experience.

Wiha does make really nice screwdrivers... I forgot about them. I have almost all Wiha insulated tools, I have found the insulation lasts longer than the klein stuff, plus they are not as bulky!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My dad has a full set of Craftsman sockets in sizes they don't make any more. Like 19/32"? Most he bought in the '70s to work on metric cars since they didn't sell metric tools here yet. I broke one of those oddballs, took it to Sears and they handed me the metric equivalent ( I had to tell them what size it needed to be). No problem. I've even taken broken tools I pick up at yard sales and they swap them out.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite wrenches were a lucky blind purchase. The name on the tool is Wright.

Our local old-timey auto-parts store, the one where the guy behind the counter hands you the right stuff the first trip, handled the INDESTRO line of hand-tools for probably sixty years.

Over the years, we would sometimes be forced into getting some wrench, socket, or the other, from them and thus have amassed quite a collection of the INDESTRO tools; they were always first rate stuff and we still have all that haven't been stolen by customers or lost by employees.

About twenty years or so ago, INDESTRO went the way of STUDEBAKER and INTERNATIONAL-HARVESTER and are no longer; so, since then, they have been a WRIGHT tool dealer.

Although we haven't yet had reason to buy more than one or two pieces, many around here are well pleased with them.

As for CRAFTSMAN, if you are adamant about "made in USA", carefully read the fine print on any CRAFTSMAN tools, especially sockets, as ALL I have myself seen in the last twenty years are made in TAIWAN, believe it or not. :eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm sick of crapsman. Bought a new 1/4 drive set and the ratchet was bum out of the box. I go to get it replaced and the guy drills me for a recipt, I throw a fuss about never having needed one for a craftsman tool before, he finally gives in, then he reaches under the counter and grabs a , get this, reconditioned ratchet, with someones initials engraved in it and hands it to me :confused: as I'm standing there wondering what on earth is going on, this drain on society explains that they don't replace their bad ratchets with new ones anymore, only reconditioned ones and it's very common for them to be bum out of the box.I was seriously ticked, bought a new ratchet, but I wind uo with an old used one, at least I got him to dig another one without the engraving on it out :rolleyes:

For over the counter I much prefer the KD tools, very good quality, and if I'm not in a hurry, I like to order Hazet tools when feeling rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US