Getting Really Angry At Snapon..

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I guerss things have changed since my days of turning wrenches. I always prefered MAC for diagnostics since it was OTC stuff anyway. It gave you a little compettitive advantage. OTC updates work on MACs genesis just fine.
As for the meter, if you can track down a snap on tool truck guy they may have more insight on the timing meter. Just cuz snapon doesnt fix it does not mean that the guys on the truck dont know someone who does.
Best of Luck
Ken

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ken... I have a snapon dealer truck about 500 feet from my door. He really doesn't care much about what I need or want but... He will gladly sell me what he has on the truck...-cusscookoo I shop in Ill seems to be the go to place. The fella I talked with told me he has been the only person to work on these mt1480 meters for many years. Snapon stopped supporting these meters in 2004. My warranty card dates only go up to 1999 and nothing has been punched out. The card can go back as far as 1980. I'm taking mine up to the frisco bbq this weekend and it will be hooked up to a scope. Maybe we can figure out something. Otherwise it will be shipped to the Northern Repair Center in Crystal Lake Ill. I will find out whats the deal with these mt1480 meters. Plenty of speculation they may have been a display item that was defective. That can't be unless they came off the assembly line.... Got paskaged in 4 differant packaging products with known issues... Were kept wharehoused... And they wholsaled out to some guy that sold them to us. The way mine was packaged tells me it has never been opened nor displayed. Unless someone wanted to be looking at a cardboard box with nothing telling anyone it was a snapon item..... Things are moving in the right direction finally. At least I found the one guy that says hes the one that repaired these for snapon. Nobody else in his location has any idea about these. He even said he had lots of notes and diagrams that he could refer to. I know these are just words but who do you believe anymore. Its working out but just taking longer than I wanted...

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Thats a shame. I guess if you drop 50k with them they are much more helpful. If I run into the guy I used to deal with back in the day I am going to ask him (name Bob Schmidt) about it. If he has anything good to add I will be the middle man for you and anyone else that needs repair. (for a markup of course:rotflmao:rotflmao) Stay tuned....
Ken

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
oh yea.....don't buy Snap-On air tools. IR or CP is the only way to go.

I learned that one the hard way. They used to have good stuff, but I bought a nifty looking 1/4 drive air ratchet a while back and used the thing maybe 20 times and it's already locked up -cuss

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The snap on air tools and mac for that matter have gone off shore for suppliers.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'85 Bronco II (don't ask me why I owned one of those POS'es)

I wish I hadn't of read that line; I had almost quit having nightmares about the one we used to have. :rotflmao

Without even a close second, that had to be the worst vehicle investment we ever made and a continual money-pit thereafter. cookoo

The amazing thing is that there are two of them in my area that still belong to the original owners, have hundreds of thousands of miles, still look good as new, are driven all over every day, and they claim to have never had a problem except for maybe a water-pump or alternator or somesuch. :dunno:rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what many would have you believe about them, I was never very impressed with either Snap-On or MAC, or any of those mobile tool trucks; their stuff is WAY over-priced for what they have; they are good decent tools, but not near worth what they cost.

Somebody has to pay that driver/salesman big time money, and that expensive step-van is not going to run around for cheap; all of that expense, plus a handsome profit, gets passed right along to the customer; it always seemed like a gimmick to me.

A few years ago, a new Snap-On guy started coming by our shop, trying to sell us tools.

We have some big :backoff INCH impacts that simply EAT impact sockets; if the nut doesn't come easy, something has got to give; that something is usually the socket.

We explained our situation to the guy and he said "why sure, I will gaurantee my impact sockets. Just have the broken ones laying on the counter when I come by and I will give you new ones in their place."

We bought a bunch of the sockets.

Needless to say, next week, when he came back, there were four or five dead soldiers waiting for him on the counter.

He didn't like it, but he gave us replacements.

Same story a week later; then, he just started passing us on by --- no easy profit there I guess. :rolleyes:

The much less expensive Harbor Freight sockets hold up as good or better; and, they always replace them with a smile. :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a private guy here for a while that sold SK or whatever you wanted to order. he did real good till the economy tanked.
The big problem with Mac is they are now stanley, Snap on is just overpriced, I have thousands of dollars worth and I get them warrantied thru a dealer I have never bought from. He is in portland ,services my buddies shop and believes all dealers should honor the warranty no matter what..

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Every SnapOn dealer I've had service my tools or do a warranty replacement expects a TIP for their service if I don't buy something from them. So either way I'm paying to have my tools warranty replaced. This is the biggest problem I have with them is their dealers. Every one of them around here are jerks. I'd much rather buy SK these days, but the store in town that carried their stuff closed up with the bad economy.

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got 35k worth of snapon tools and have had no problem gettin my stuff warrantied.And I have used 4 or 5 different trucks over the years.They dont really have a choice but to warranty the tool.I have had a lot of bad luck with matco,Mac,Sk and Crapsman.I dont have any Snap on electronics though,so I cant really comment on that.Just my opinion

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive had no luck with getting snapon stuff warrantied lately. the less you owe them the less they care.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A POOR MAN HAS POOR WAYS

Tar and feather me for saying so, if you wish; but, I have NEVER rounded a nut/bolt, never broken a wrench, nor had a ratchet to slip while using any of my many many Harbor Freight PITTSBURGH tools.

I am wrenching on something as much as anyone and I simply just can't see what it is about those incredibly expensive tools that makes them so much better.

I demand a STIHL saw, simply because STIHL is just better, but I can't make that same distinction with any of those over-priced tools. cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess after reading the posts on the Snap-On dealers, I feel very blessed all of a sudden. Throughout my career turning wrench, I have had some outstanding dealers. Of course, once again, if you own a tow truck, everyone is your friend. I guess I am going to find out how good or bad it is in TX when I move back out there and have to try to find out when the Snap-On guy comes around.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't of read that line; I had almost quit having nightmares about the one we used to have. :rotflmao

Without even a close second, that had to be the worst vehicle investment we ever made and a continual money-pit thereafter. cookoo

The amazing thing is that there are two of them in my area that still belong to the original owners, have hundreds of thousands of miles, still look good as new, are driven all over every day, and they claim to have never had a problem except for maybe a water-pump or alternator or somesuch. :dunno:rolleyes:

I got the bronco II for free (that's right, free!) and it was still a bad deal!!!

It was actually a good setup, had the big V6 (3.9L I think.....) 5 spd 4x4 (with a manual TC and locking hubs) My wife kinda liked the way it drove, that was until the passenger front wheel bearing locked up and the whole hub assembly came unglued while I was pulling into a gas station to check it out. :puke:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the same token my 86' Ranger had over 280,000 trouble free miles. Granted it was 2WD, so if I had that hub problem it was because I didn't maintain it properly... which I didn't, but I couldn't kill that truck no matter how hard I tried. As for tools, Craftsman has always been good by me. I have a set of Snap-On 8 point sockets. I wanted 4 point, but the salesman said nobody carried them and 8 point would work just as good. Of course they didn't, and still don't. $79 wasted I'd say. However, hell will freeze over before I put a chinese tool in my toolbox, and I don't care how good it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online