Getting Really Angry At Snapon..

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
By the same token my 86' Ranger had over 280,000 trouble free miles. Granted it was 2WD, so if I had that hub problem it was because I didn't maintain it properly... which I didn't, but I couldn't kill that truck no matter how hard I tried. As for tools, Craftsman has always been good by me. I have a set of Snap-On 8 point sockets. I wanted 4 point, but the salesman said nobody carried them and 8 point would work just as good. Of course they didn't, and still don't. $79 wasted I'd say. However, hell will freeze over before I put a chinese tool in my toolbox, and I don't care how good it is.

Thats my thoughts too. Even with snap on, matco, mac, whatever... you still gotta look at things sometimes. I have invested over $100k into tools over my 12 year career as a wrench and not one think is chinese.
Ken

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I agree with Mel and Ken, but the shortest wait i've ever been able to get from snapon for a warranty was 2 1/2 months, right now I'm on month 3 waiting for the &*^%head to get me my 3/8" drive 6" extension that I broke, but If I wanted to buy one he would have it to me tomorrow.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If and when I ship my meter to have it repaired it wont go to snapon. They have nothing to do with them since 2004... So said the factroy rep I spoke with. The guy in Ill will fix it. He did all the problem repairs for snapon... So he said.....

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'd rather buy Menards "tool shop" crap than snapon myself

I had no problem exchanging the Tool Shop screwdriver I used as a cement chisel, the sledge didn't shatter the handle like I figured either.....

if I'm gonna spend any sort of "real" money on any tools though, I'll stick with Craftsman myself, I just wish they'd stayed with the stainless parts to the ratchets instead of switching to the crappy black carbon steel

first craftsman ratchet I broke was a 1/4" drive with a couple adapters up to 1/2" to use to tighten some lugnuts, it couldn't take the strain from that 4' cheater bar :D

sheared the socket stud right off

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
if I'm gonna spend any sort of "real" money on any tools though, I'll stick with Craftsman myself, I just wish they'd stayed with the stainless parts to the ratchets instead of switching to the crappy black carbon steel

first craftsman ratchet I broke was a 1/4" drive with a couple adapters up to 1/2" to use to tighten some lugnuts, it couldn't take the strain from that 4' cheater bar :D

sheared the socket stud right off

I've had good luck with Craftsman tools too and have stuck with them over the years. Got my first wrench set from my father that got them 20 years before I came along. Still use them around the farm.

In fact, the only Craftsman tool I think I've ever broken was a big flat head screwdriver that I substituted as a pry-bar to try and line up the timing marks on our New Holland square baler. Snapped one of the corners off and got it exchanged with no questions asked at Sears. ;Sweet

Broken off plenty of wheel studs with my 1/4" drive ratchet though :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Snap-on is a joke, I refuse to buy their tools. Too god-damn expensive and the dealers go out of business so often you can't get warranty repairs. Same warranty from Sears or Canadian tire and there is never any issue getting replacements. Buddy came in here trying to sell me a $400 set of stubby wrenches, I just laughed and told him I could ge the same set from Crappy tire for $29.99 on sale with a lifetime warranty.cookoo

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
When I first started working I invested alot of money in Proto tools. They've been pretty good to me so far, I have a good deal of Craftsman stuff too.

I bought a 3/8 air ratchet from Mac tools and it lasted all of 6 months. :puke:

Proto isn't proto anymore, so I don't know if Stanley has the same reputation as proto did.

Most of the stuff I use on a daily basis is Klein, which is by far the best tool manufacturer when it comes to electrician tools, bar none!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've just packed my meter back up and will ship it back to the seller toady for a refund. It sucks but I'm not going to chance the fact that this meter may not be fixable. So, I'm going to cut it loose.

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Well, I've just packed my meter back up and will ship it back to the seller toady for a refund. It sucks but I'm not going to chance the fact that this meter may not be fixable. So, I'm going to cut it loose.

Heath

I think you made a wise decision! Too bad it didn't work out for you, man.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Snap-on is a joke, I refuse to buy their tools. Too god-damn expensive and the dealers go out of business so often you can't get warranty repairs. Same warranty from Sears or Canadian tire and there is never any issue getting replacements. Buddy came in here trying to sell me a $400 set of stubby wrenches, I just laughed and told him I could ge the same set from Crappy tire for $29.99 on sale with a lifetime warranty.cookoo

I don't know why so many of you guys have trouble getting snappy to warrant tools. Heck, just last month I had a snap ring plier fold on me that I had bought WAY back when I was working in the bus shop ( back when these IDI engines first came out) halfway across the country ,and my local snappy dealer grabbed me a new one and I was on my way. The replacement one I got is even nicer than my old one ;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Around here, they don't stay in business long because of their prices....They want 3 or 4 times as much money and offer the same warranty...Lifetime.....We only recently have a new dealer in my area in the last 2-3 months.....I don't own one snap-on tool...I can't swallow the prices. I do like their boxes, but not enough to pay double what I paid for my Gray chest.....It was $3000.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tar and feather me for saying so, if you wish; but, I have NEVER rounded a nut/bolt, never broken a wrench, nor had a ratchet to slip while using any of my many many Harbor Freight PITTSBURGH tools.

I am wrenching on something as much as anyone and I simply just can't see what it is about those incredibly expensive tools that makes them so much better.

I'd have to agree. I have two Craftsman 3/8 ratchets at the house, one is stripped and the other the plastic direction thingy broke. Plastic? Seriously? I bought a long handled great neck 3/8 ratchet from autozone that lasted longer than the craftsman.

I've heard, to warranty out Craftsman tools you need the receipt. Any truth to this?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've never been asked for a reciept at sears, just toss it on the counter and wait as they get you a new one. Canadian Tire is the same way, all my wrench's up to 1" at work are the Pro series wrenches from Canadian tire....Nice chrome, long and a good deal at $59.99 when they go on sale. I have 2 complete sets of metric and SAE. I've only had to return 2 small 7/16 or 10mm for spread jaws - double wrenched both of them which caused it. I also have some Craftsman and SK wrenches, I like those too. My chrome sockets are all Craftsman and my impact sockets are mostly Princess auto....Cheap but they wear very well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree. I have two Craftsman 3/8 ratchets at the house, one is stripped and the other the plastic direction thingy broke. Plastic? Seriously? I bought a long handled great neck 3/8 ratchet from autozone that lasted longer than the craftsman.

I've heard, to warranty out Craftsman tools you need the receipt. Any truth to this?

Are you sure it is a Craftsman and not a SEARS? I've never seen a plastic piece in a Craftsman ratchet. If indeed they are Craftsman, then you've been selling yourself short. Just take them in, and they will replace them on the spot no questions asked. I bought both my boys a Craftsman tool set for Christmas, and Matthias set had 1 9/16" combination wrench that was fine other than the fact that the one end wasn't "bent" quite right. Consequently, it didn't fit in the slot in the carrying case. I took it in, and the guy wasn't sure if he should replace the one tool or the whole set! After a minute of thinking about it, he just grabbed a new one off the shelf and handed it to me and said "all fixed".

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing with Craftsman, there are several smaller Tools, Tractors and Appliances Sears Stores popping up, I hae one right around the corner. They may be easier to deal with.

I have also erad on this forum, that Fastenal is a Craftsman dealer also, and they are a "no questions asked" kind of exchange place. If you are having trouble with your "Mall Sears" exchanging things, you might try one of these other places.

Also, K-Mart also carries Craftsman tools, since K-Mart now owns Sears, I wonder if they will do an exchange also?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US