getting fuel + juice won't start

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone finds this post treating them well it's a beautiful day here in Columbus Georgia. I am currently stranded in Walmart parking lot in the truck listed in my signature just had the transmission rebuilt in which I will update my transmission thread later this evening if I can make it home. It's been running fairly well a little hard to start of course I know my glow plug system is not functioning properly but it has been starting a lot better lately since I've cleaned up a lot of connections and splice wires together to eliminate older corroded ones I just turned the truck off to go into Walmart came back out and it simply will not start. I have been out here going on two hours I have a very powerful jump box and it tries to start with or without throttle but it almost seems like it's not getting enough of something I'm trying to be optimistic. I know that this is such a simple fix I just need to get it back to my shop of course without the $150 Towing bill for my tow truck. I am getting fuel to the injectors icracked the ones that I had access to with a pair of channel locks because I don't have my toolbox with me getting plenty of fuel coming out when cracked the glow plug relay is clicking like it normally does I tried ether... just a split second once with no change at all because like I stated it is trying to start about 3 seconds after I turn it over it's just not enough to keep it running. the power plug closest to the radiator on the i_p I'm not sure what it's called when I take that club out by here clicking so thats functioning right the first 1 I don't know what what in the hell that when does but I will get around I'm mentally exhausted at this point because I failed to address this issue 4 months ago when I first got the truck started working on it all by the way I change the mechanical fuel pump out yesterday and noticed a little bit of better acceleration and throttle response since replacing it yesterday

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I don't remember, but did you replace the IP, or still running the one that was on the truck when you got it?

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new IP new injectors new glow plugs new glow plug module relay new fuel filter as of last week it's been replaced twice since I've had the truck I'm running fuel out of a hand cleaned fuel tank Il tighten all the fuel lines the fuel filter was loose about 30 minutes ago and I tightened it real tight by hand.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's it look like cooling out the lines does it spray hard or run out slow? Running out slow could be IP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even though it's a pia to me personally to remove it I really hope that that's what it is since it's under warranty I could not afford the recommended one on the forums. of course as always I try to research before I post so I can try to pre diagnose before inquiring about something but it always starts at very very low idle like subpar and always feel the need to give it a little bit of throttle for it to start the initial idle process after cranking it I don't know whether the fuel needed to be turned up in the IP originally I also adjusted the throttle yesterday to idle a little lower so it wouldn't sound so sporadic.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GETTING Fuel and no start.....either not nuff cranking speed or not enough compression ...especially if juicing w crack in a can...should light off...maybe timing any smoke? Has Ip moved since replaced?

Where is new IP and injectorz from?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 85 it takes a lot to get these ol gals lit get a new battery and I bet she'll start.
Might also try putting a jumper wire from positive cable to FSS and see if it fires up the.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I suggest you run a jumper wire from any battery positive terminal directly to the large wire connector on top of the injection pump. Thats the fuel shutoff switch. Its the closest wire to the radiator too. the rear wire is the electronic advance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin