Geardrive install on mechanically injected 6.5

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with different IP's on my 6.5 and the decision was made that a gear drive was required to eleminate the timing differences that a chain gives. When I tore everything down at first I observed about 1" of slack in the timing chain. That is unacceptable to provide precise timing on a diesel IMO.

The first time I ever tore the front of the motor down i did it without removing the radiator and let me tell you it's not worth it! Doing everything upside down and sideways is not very easy. So the when I installed the gear drive I decided to take the radiator, A/C condensor, engine oil cooler, trans cooler, intercooler and grill out. I know it sounds like alot of work, but I justified it with the theory that it all needed cleaned out well anyways.

After all of that is out of the way the timing cover is right infront of you. The injection pump has to be taken lose by removing the three nuts that hold it on and the three bolts on the IP gear. The waterpump and backing plate have to be taken off too. The serpentine pulley and harmonic ballancer also have to come off. Once all that is off there are three bolts behind the IP drive gear near the top of the motor, they need to come out. After all the bolts are gone the cover should come off with a little "persuasion" from a rubber mallet.

Once under the cover it is best to rotate the engine so that the dots on the crank gear and cam gear line up. This will make it easier to line the gearset up later. The easiest way to do this is re-install the bolt that holds the balancer on and use it to rotate the crank.

After everything is lined up you can remove the origional gears. Now is a good time to clean everything up good and make it ready for reassebly.

The gearset only goes in one way. There is a drive gear, idler, and camgear. On the idler set there is a big gear and a small gear. The big gear goes on the passenger side of the motor and the small gear on the drivers side. Make sure to get the timing marks aligned. They won't appear to line up when they are pointed towards each other. The best way to make sure is rotate the engine 180 degrees and see if both of the dots are pointed upwards.

After you are sure the timing is set right you can start reassembling!

The best part is when you start it up the first time and it fires right up and sounds sooo good! Some have reported excessive gear noise, but in my motor the gears are as quite or quiter than the chain that they replaced.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• DSCF0933.JPG
    DSCF0933.JPG
    889.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0934.JPG
    DSCF0934.JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 25

chevydiesel

Reaction score
Good deal!

Glad the gear drive is still not very noisy. You had mentioned that you took the entire front end apart, you were'nt kidding one bit.

I've got the lean over the core support method just a few times now. At least your chest isn't sore for half a week afterwards right?

Good writeup Justin.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I got the kit from MR chevydiesel here. I think it is from DSG in Canada. Actually I think that's who makes them all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esandifer08

Members online