gauge tubing.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So it seems like the copper tubing that I use to feed my gauges is chafing in a few spots. Well i have learned a valuable lesson in that I should use vacuum tubing as a chafe guard, but I am afraid its too late.

Is there any reason why I cant use steel brake line to replace the copper? I have all the materials to make up new line using brake line, and copper tubing is ungodly expensive.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had very good results in using copper tubing for gauges.

It is much too easy to vibrate itself into breaking at the ferrules, plus it is also susceptible to kinking.

Steel brake-line should out-perform the copper, as it's thicker-walled and of a larger bore.

Better than either is to use braided stainless.

Also, McMaster-CARR and others have quality plastic tubing that holds up well.
:)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
thanks midnight. Yeah my only concern with plastic is that it can melt or burn through on the exhuast manifold. so brake line it is.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find some "Cunifer" line, it is a copper-nickle alloy, much easier to bend and flare than steel but a lot tougher than copper. You can use "Fire sleeve" to keep the fluid in the line from boiling in hot zones, distorting your readings.
I am building a Dyno at work and using aluminum AN-2 line for the test line, mounted in Adel clamps and using braided flex at the ends. It helps that we are an aircraft parts dealer.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks midnight. Yeah my only concern with plastic is that it can melt or burn through on the exhuast manifold. so brake line it is.

What are you gauging that is so perilously close to an exhaust manifold ?? :dunno

Myself, I might use the brake-line until away from the engine and then high quality plastic or braided stainless for the rest of the way.

That rigid brake-line is not gonna be very user-friendly in the close confines under the dash. :)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What are you gauging that is so perilously close to an exhaust manifold ?? :dunno

Myself, I might use the brake-line until away from the engine and then high quality plastic or braided stainless for the rest of the way.

That rigid brake-line is not gonna be very user-friendly in the close confines under the dash. :)

nothing really close to the exhaust at all, but i tend to distrust anything plastic. shoot look at all my vacuum lines to the hvac system. they are so cracked up its rediculous. any way I trust steel way more than plastic. And diesel JD told me about a time he had with a plastic oil line that melted:eek:

However you raise a very valid point that brake line is as flexible as a 2x4

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
No reason not to use a blend of both. Put steel in the engine bay and run flexible plastic under the dash. Just be careful about chafing for plastic, too.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quality plastic, thats funny. MAybe air brake grade but thats it.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake line is going to be a PITA to route without pinching it in the tighter spaces under the dash. Might want to make a loop or two in it like it is near the MC as well.

I'd stick with the copper tubing and the amount of time saved to route it. ;Sweet

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That copper stuff is loud too. I want to get some braided stuff for my oil pressure gauge. I just need to get off my dead butt to order up some. Does anyone know what thread is common on a oil pressure gauge? I'm thinking 1/8 compression npt.

Thanks

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The oil gauges I have seen (long ago) had 1/8 NPT male end. You need a fitting to put compression or flare ends on the gauge.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil gauges I have seen (long ago) had 1/8 NPT male end. You need a fitting to put compression or flare ends on the gauge.

What he said.

Usually, with a new gauge, a whole little sack-full of various brass adapter fittings will come with the gauge.

In order to come up with a particular adapter I may be needing, I have bought cheap gauges just to rob the needed fitting out of the pack; usually that's much less expensive than buying the fitting by itself at a parts-store.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The copper tubing is CHEAP!! I went to my local ACE hardware and bought 3/16'' copper tubing for $0.79 a foot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online