Gathering up for the Rebuild - What Do I Need On Hand?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Tempted for sure. That guest house is purty nice too. I've been wondering if Mel was thinking about helping out and diving headfirst into a PSD.

Mabey even have an oilburners Powerstroke rally with an engine build and installation clinic.

Basement dwellers are welcome to come out of hiding andcut their teeth on a little technology too.;Really

I guess it all depends on timing of when the replacement & rebuilt parts get here, but I asked for Mel's help & he agreed. Will be a great opportunity for him to get a close look at the Excursion's insides without tearing into it.

Once I have parts back froms shops & all things needed to reassemble I'll figure out a date with Mel & post it here. Those that can help are more than welcome to show up. I'll feed ya & if yer an outa towner, the guest house sleeps 8 without becoming "overly" friendly with another fella. I gotta say this though, I won't be rushing thru the rebuild as this is a learning experience for me & I DON'T want to have to redo this again because something was rushed or overlooked. So, if you show up, bare with me. I work quickly but won't be rushing. All are welcome, even if you just want a peak & not get dirty.

Joey, you live in the same freakin' town. 2 minutes away the way you drive, that's why!!LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, who you get to help you is certainly your choice. I'll come regardless since I'm invited, provided that I can. I know we are away next weekend, in case all your parts arrive this week, but the weekend after seems more likely, and that is clear for me. I won't be offended in any way if you want others to come.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, being retired, about anytime is good for me. Checked the actual mileage and it's only 375 miles from my doorstep to Fallston which is close to a couple of my old stomping grounds of Aberdeen and Catonsville.

Mel, I am hoping you can come so I can sit back with an ice cold Coca Cola and stuperviseLOL

How's the tool situation, do you have an air compressor that can handle air tools.

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mike,
Scott has a good variety of tools and a compressor. Dang shame he is so **** about how they are stored though. He could fit a lot more in them drawers!:backoff LOL

APG I understand, but Catonsville???? Why would you ever go to exit 12? Being a UMBC and Catonsville Community College drop out, I do not miss that side of town!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law had a really nice 3 story house in Catonsville on Basswood Ct on the edge of the Patapsco Valley State Park, used to go up there a few times a year until he passed away a few years ago. Miss him a lot, he was a good man.

Aberdeen was where we had a distribution center, used to run up there from Norfolk, VA 7 days a week to swap trailers when I drove for Ameriserve IDI delevering to Wendy's, Dairy Queen and KFC. Prolly the most physically demanding job I ever had, my doctor had me on a 6000 - 7000 calorie a day diet so I didn't lose any more weight.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Scott has a good variety of tools and a compressor. Dang shame he is so **** about how they are stored though. He could fit a lot more in them drawers!:backoff LOL

Ya mean like this......sucks having almost every socket sold by Sears and not being able to find the one you want quickly. No worries that's just my Daisy 12 shot BB gun my Grandma gave me when I was about 9 (found out really fast I could cram 14 BBs in it tooLOL )

Metric....................................Standard
You must be registered for see images attach

This prolly wouldn't fly though.....PS, that's just the straight screwdrivers, Phillips in the next drawer down.

BTW I ran out of room in this thing and am right now rearganizing the small room in my shop for additional big tool & home improvement tool storage to get that lower use stuff out of my way and make more room in the main shop area.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Scott, being retired, about anytime is good for me and I could a few days needed to finish, weekend prolly best though. Checked the actual mileage and it's only 375 miles from my doorstep to Fallston which is close to a couple of my old stomping grounds of Aberdeen and Catonsville.

Mel, I am hoping you can come so I can sit back with an ice cold Coca Cola and stuperviseLOL

How's the tool situation, do you have an air compressor that can handle air tools.

It's 325 from the truckstop in Kenly to Fallston, just figured it was about 75 miles to you from there. I have a compressor but it's slow to fill (old emglo) Once it pumps to 120psi, it maintains OK & kicks on at about 100psi to refill. My air tool selection is a little light though. No problem though. Bunch of mechanic friends I can scavenge what I need.

I can have "stronger" beverage on hand for you. Liquor store in right around the corner.

Um.......I'm not that **** about the toolbox, its a filthy wreck most of the time.:backoff I just tend to put tools back were they belong to keep from losing them. I have enough tools to get by, some high quality stuff, some cheapo stuff. 90% Craftsman, 5% Snap-On, 5% junk. I do need to aquire some of the special tools needed to this job though.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I don't need stronger beverage to stupervise, a couple beers every six months is about all I drink.

Kenly is what, the 107 yardstick and I'm just 10 miles straight shot from the 72 in Dunn so 370 - 375 is pretty accurate.

With the short block and heads assembled there really isn't any specialty tools absolutly needed to put it back together and install it besides the torque wrenches that I can think of. If the rear main seal needs to be put on it can be done with the adaptor that goes on the crank for the automatic trannies (Dave at Swamps taught me that trick......unfortunatly after I pooched my first one).

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm....Decided to get permission from the "BOSS":backoff...... LOL

I'm good to go if needed.

P.S.... Coca Cola Classic is beverage of choice, drink it like it's going out of style:D

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ew, coca cola, that'll rot your insides. Mountain Dew is where it's at.
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao You've been watching too many comercials.... I don't do the Dew, I want the "Real Thing", ain't no rust in my pipes.

Mountain Dew:puke: Cant stand that stuff or just about any other Pepsi product including Pepsi.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Figured I'd check in b4 hitting the highway again. I'm not a big drinker either but I can drink the heck out of Coke. Used to do the high test until the wifey asked me to switch to diet for health reasons. Hated it at first but now it tastes the same to me. When I get coke classic mistakenly, it takes me a few sips to figure it out. And I dropped some lbs. switching over. Not enough for the wife to stop calling me a fat *******.....but some none the lessLOL.

I forgot to ask about this when we talked earlier, how about the cylinder head lifting tool. worth while?

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Ya mean like this......sucks having almost every socket sold by Sears and not being able to find the one you want quickly. No worries that's just my Daisy 12 shot BB gun my Grandma gave me when I was about 9 (found out really fast I could cram 14 BBs in it tooLOL )

Metric....................................Standard

This prolly wouldn't fly though.....PS, that's just the straight screwdrivers, Phillips in the next drawer down.

BTW I ran out of room in this thing and am right now rearganizing the small room in my shop for additional big tool & home improvement tool storage to get that lower use stuff out of my way and make more room in the main shop area.

do I spy a mighty Klein screwdriver in there???