Injection pump time

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been over 10 years since I installed a moose pump and I’m thinking it might be time to replace or rebuild it. The truck still starts and runs well but the mpgs are quite poor lately. Already have a recent set of injectiors from Russ. The only hard clue I have of a tired IP is a slight hesitation on hot start, which is usually the sign of a pump wearing out. Usually these engines start running after half a revolution when everything is perfect. Sometimes it will go maybe 1.5 turns before instantly firing on all 8 holes. There is also a hint of rough idle when hot.

So with that being said, who’s still in the game of making good quality pumps for these trucks? Anyone have recent experience with a new injection pump they want to share?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been over 10 years since I installed a moose pump and I’m thinking it might be time to replace or rebuild it. The truck still starts and runs well but the mpgs are quite poor lately. Already have a recent set of injectiors from Russ. The only hard clue I have of a tired IP is a slight hesitation on hot start, which is usually the sign of a pump wearing out. Usually these engines start running after half a revolution when everything is perfect. Sometimes it will go maybe 1.5 turns before instantly firing on all 8 holes. There is also a hint of rough idle when hot.

So with that being said, who’s still in the game of making good quality pumps for these trucks? Anyone have recent experience with a new injection pump they want to share?
I got a new moose pump in October 2023, I couldn’t be happier. 10 years is a plenty long time, might as well have them do it again for another happy 10

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh boy....lol

R&D makes good pumps, Moose makes good pumps, those are both the only two ive used so far.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russrepair and Classic Diesel Designs are also considered to be good places

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the pump?!

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only complaint about the moose pump was the 3000rpm limit. I’m not sure if that’s still the case for any of the options for the upgraded pumps.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea yer due
standyne really needs to start selling remans for the db2's cuz the supply is awful out there

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only complaint about the moose pump was the 3000rpm limit. I’m not sure if that’s still the case for any of the options for the upgraded pumps.
Mine revs to 3300ish, I believe that is stock. Don’t quote me on this, but I think they can do a 3800 RPM governor if you want it

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time, did it rev more.
I don't know if Mel offered a hi rpm governor spring in the stock pumps...

Fwiw
My 93 has right @60k factory miles, it'll probably go 3600 maybe a little more?
Before it defuels.

It won't get 10 mpg cuz the guts are to old according to the guru's.
It will pull fine to the redline then just hold against the governor.
Ymmv
I've seen big cc pumps in action , they still hit the governed rpm and stop, or defuel...
I'm waiting for Justin to get some time to do this exact pump for me as I am sure it is in good condition inside as to wear....

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ doesn't build pumps, he always sends them to R&D, he updated his website to show that recently too.
That's new AFAIK, he had an outfit in Oregon he sent them to for years and years. They did a great job, too, I'm running a stock reman from them and they even let me max out the fuel screw without affecting the warranty.

As for RPM, Justin and Wes both sell high RPM versions the last I saw. If you like the moose pump, call them up and ask a few questions! From everything I've heard, they are still a great rebuilder with amazing service, though I've never dealt with them myself.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember something about the fueling curve of the upgraded pump didn’t allow for the normal redline at the time. Something about the nature of the pump trying to dump too much fuel in the lower rpm range without enough at max…Things may have improved since then, or I could be remembering wrong. My tach never worked above 2500, due to an internal electrical problem so I was never able to confirm what my governed speed really is.