Gasser in tank pumps...

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
The mechanical pumps on the 7.3l and 6.9l engines only produce 4-7lbs. In my opinion 5lbs is fine, but that's just me.

5psi is the max though, I think it could potentially drop to the 3-4psi range when pulling in grades. It could work, I just think it would be more worthwhile to just spend the money and get an electric pump with at least 7psi rating and higher GPH flow.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the newer EFI pumps, but for my old carb'd in-tank pumps; I thought of going this route when I did the diesel swap, and ended up just swapping the whole tanks out of the donor truck. My main reasoning was that the in tank pumps would be a pain to change and were hard to find replacements for.
In hindsight, I could have just replaced them with a piece of tubing.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a Vega that had in in tank fuel pump. The engine was carbed. When the in tank pump went bad all I did was put an electric one under the hood. I never even bothered with the in tank pump and just left it like it was.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I don't know how the gasser pumps would hold up pumping diesel. I removed the ones in the Chevy tanks and just installed a tube and filter.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 diesel pump rating is 6-8 psi the gasser pumps will work i have pumped hundreds of gallons with one ..however the problem you are going to have when the in tank filter on that pump gets pluged up then you will have to remove the unit from the tank and remove the filter ...it may last 5-6 tanks full of diesel ....or only 1- if you get a little bit of water pumped in with the fuel it will plug that filter in the tank faster than a hot chick at diesel mart

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, "Mr Gasket" makes an electric pump for diesels. It's green. I built a EFI 5.0 and was faced with the same issue. The tank pumps would NOT supply enough fuel past about 1/4 throttle so I had to add a "Mr Gasket" pump and regulator under the hood. The high pressure pump is 70 psi I think, which is way too much { for a carb anyway } This is gasser info but I hope it helps. Hate to see you smoke your IP.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Like the brainchildren at GM when they were building diesel cars in the 80s. I had one of the diesel chebby celebritys , and the morons had a sock filter on the end of the pickup tube which clogged near instantly with a bypass opening about a third of the tank up so once the car had been driven a couple of months, the full size of the tank would be rendered useless and you would run out of fuel at around 1/3 tank cookoo ( then the same brain trust use a main filter that was installed by having to undo and reinstall 2 inverted flare fittings off steel lines like tranny cooler lines instead of a normal spin on so a lot of mechanics would cross thread and booger the things uo to where they would leak like crazy -cuss:backoff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online