gas to diesel swap

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im lookin at a few trucks around here, mainly IDI's and still one stroke. i cant seem to find a decent IDI. i found one but i gotta wait till my truck sells.. so im lookin to trade my truck for a 351 or 302. i know if i get one late 80s early 90s, its gonna have the e4od and im gonna swap the IDI into it, but how hard can it be? is there anything special to look out for. im gonna do it right in my garage with hand tools, probably build up the IDI before it goes in, new sticks, turbo and some head studs. any suspension mods i gotta make? im probably goin with a f350 so i get the d60 and not the TTB cause im lifting this truck. any thoughts?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
out of the 351, they should, i only thought they wouldnt match up on the 460?

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big project if you do it correctly, wiring harness under hood and in the cab, I did it with a 460 in a f350, radiator supports are different motor mounts will work, a lot to consider before you start, several days work but well worth it for me. the 460 was getting 9 mpg and the 7.3 gets about 13.5 or 14.
good luck, let us know how it turns out.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can tell you right now how its gonna turn out lol im gonna hold out for an IDI trade or the stroke im goin to look at this weekend.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was down for 5 months, and I had a donor truck, course a lift was installed, axles were regeared and swapped in the ass, and a shackle flip was also done in the ass... and most of that 5 months, was not being able to get to the shop it was at...

Would I do it again? sure. But in my yard. I just yanked my 6.9 for a 6.6... and that project is starting to grow mold.. but that is a cash flow issue.

Were I to do it again, I would have held out for a diesel Centurion in the first place, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online