Fuel tank selector valve???

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the valve different on a gas truck than a diesel truck?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone will sell you the same valve for both gas and diesel. They show the same parts numbers.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From my looking, yes they're different. I found some close, but they were different on how the fuel lines hook up. This was last summer, but it seems like the gas ones had all of the fuel lines hooking up to the back of the valve while the diesel ones have two on the back and two on the bottom. By back I mean the rearward facing part of the valve.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to argue with anyone, but I grabbed a replacement valve for my failed 86 valve off of my brother in law's dead 84 gasser. It has a 351W in it. I'd like to buy it just for parts

Same Bat Channel, Same Bat Time, Same Bat Valve.

For the moment it will work. When I replace the dead tank in the rear, I will look at replacing the valve

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think the real way to do it is to go with manual valves and a switch just for gauges.

But just my opinion. I like to have as much manually operated as possible, leaves me to blame and not the equipment

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too like the manual valves option. Anyone have a link to this? I know how to search but searching is not too friendly here at work or on a phone.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

MandolinMan

Reaction score
I just had this part replaced a few weeks ago. The mechanic said that he could only get the part through ford, so it came with a hefty price tag. I was busy and had a lot of confidence in the guy, my family has done a lot of business with him, so had him order the part and put it on. Now seeing this forum it looks like I could have got the part from advance ( link listed in post #5) for about a third of the price. Or had I known better, I could have gone with the manual valve, which I would have preferred. Guess I know for next time.

Do these valves go bad often? How hard are they to switch out?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Do these valves go bad often? How hard are they to switch out?

They go bad from not being used. If you regularly switch between front and rear tank, you have nothing to worry about. Don't be a cheapa$$ and not fill up both tanks. Or at the very least, if you can only afford to fill up one tank at a time, rotate the tanks. Fill the front at one stop, and the rear at your next stop.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a dirty shame the valves only last 20 - 25 years. Not the valves fault most of the time, it's all the crud from the rear metal tank that plugs em up or makes them inoperative. I replaced the one on my 84 Motorhome and my 92 F350 with the one from Azone, takes a little ingenuity, because it mounts horizontal instead of vertical, then put filters before the suction side. Now I've got two spares after taking them apart and cleaning them.

I hate how this truck got the selectors set up. that an how on the gas one they just tee the return so gas only returns to one tank (that back most the time). this one is a good set up off a e-van

A six way four port valve is for two tanks. If that gasser (above quote) only returns to one tank, it certainly has the wrong valve on it or it's piped/tubed up wrong.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ford van has an aftermarket 33 gal. rear tank and uses a GM electric valve (new). It works but won't switch until engine is shut off, I assume it can't fight the suction while running? Rear tank has aux filter between valve and tank, no filter between front and valve, same issue switching either way. Not too tuff to work around and 58 gal of fuel is nice.... except when it's time to fill-up!!!

I'd like to convert to a carrier electric pump next. Real-estate is at a premium in my van!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle