Fuel Tank options

Ranchdweller

Reaction score
I saw in a of other threads mentioning installing a larger fuel tank. Can anyone let me know what options are out there. What parts are needed?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im new to the website myself, but I've been getting info on this site for quite a while. I think the common thing is to do a bronco rear tank. The bronco tank is 33gal and it fits between the frame. I did this myself in a pretty low tech way. I run my truck on WMO and use the rear 33gal tank as my primary tank full of WMO and my front 16gal tank is for diesel fuel. I'll try to take some pics of how I did mine and post them, it's unorthodox but it's there.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another popular option is the Spectra Premium F26E tank. It’s a 38 gallon replacement that is pretty much a drop-in replacement for the 80-97 rear tanks. You will have to remove your spare tire, and not all hitches are compatible with the deeper 38 gallon tank.

Ranchdweller

Reaction score
besides the tank, what other parts do i need complete the install? I see it comes with longer bolts and some other goodies, I can reuse my sending unit assembly?

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Spectra 38 gallon F26E is the tank.
I installed one 2 1/2 years ago, it comes with a bag of parts,
bolts with pipe extensions, some copper tubing and...etc..
The bolts were around 3/4" too short, had to but new one at the hard ware store.

You will need to make the Float Arm longer, and add to the pick up tube. Use a compression fitting for the tube, and I did replace the Shower heads with new one`s.
I think the added length was about 5 1/2 inches.

Tank will come with an oil coating for protection in shipping. I washed it off and gave it 2 coats of POR.

I pulled the bed which makes it easier to work on things from the top.
But the tank will need to be raised into position from under the truck.
This is a good time to do the tank modification to the fuel vent problem.

price has gone up on the tanks, $210 wow think paid around $160.

Goat.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Harvey is on to something there. I just happen to have an 86 bronco to steal parts off of. I will say, if you have a bronco to rob, the bronco tank is held up by a full skid plate so that's sweet with the tank bottom so low. I had to modify a sending unit because the bronco tank sending unit is different, but that F26 tank looks like you just pop it in.

Ranchdweller

Reaction score
What fuel vent problem?

I will be installing on a F350 Dually 2WD. Do you recommend a skid plate for that application?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The skid plate setup was known to get gravel/rocks wedged between it and the tank, eventually putting holes in the tank.

I would build my own skidplate instead.

Another thought for a larger midship tank is a later superduty pickup one, or a dodge pickup. Both are plastic and have similar frame widths as the 77-97 ford pickups.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Harvey is on to something there. I just happen to have an 86 bronco to steal parts off of. I will say, if you have a bronco to rob, the bronco tank is held up by a full skid plate so that's sweet with the tank bottom so low. I had to modify a sending unit because the bronco tank sending unit is different, but that F26 tank looks like you just pop it in.
You will need to use the sending unit for your year truck, IE it needs to the the correct OHM reading for full and empty.

If you use your old one, you will have to modify it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fuel vent problem?

I will be installing on a F350 Dually 2WD. Do you recommend a skid plate for that application?

Well you know when fillingl the tank, and how Diesel foams up,
and that last few gallons the handle keeps clicking off?

There is a modification to get it to vent better, and the tank fills fast.

Here are a few I saved in a folder when I was searching on how to do this modification. There are others if you search.

Goat

Last edited: