Fuel System Plumbing Thoughts

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty guys (and gals),

I am starting to put my list together to get Big Red back on the road. I think I have made my way through the brake system and now I'm on to fuel.

Lets start with fuel lines. I was thinking real hard about running either stainless or aluminum hard lines for the fuel feed and returns with of course rubber connections to the lift pump (similar to stock) but replace the plastic lines with a good fuel rated hose to the selector valve. The problem I can see with this is that there would be more connections to potentially have air intrusion problems at. On the flip side, you get hard lines for the majority of the run without worrying about abbrasion. I suppose I could look for a braided line or a protective loom to go around the lines. They do make a nylon sleeve for wires that and its relatively inexpensive that I guess could work here too. Purpose built AN type lines, although ****, are probably expensive and overkill.

As for fuel selector valves, I have searched around for alternatives other than manual valves. My valve is toast. I don't know what shape the one on the parts truck is in. If it's good, I may just steal the harness out of that loom (mine is melted) and use it as is. I'd like to upgrade but I'm not sure how worthwhile it is. I did find some basic valves that are made by borg warner that are just 1 into 2 (no return circuit) so that is an option. It's 1 wire hookup. I'd have to redo the fuel sender wiring but that's no big deal. I have looked for just basic 3 way solenoid valves but everything I've found has been either small or really expensive or pneumatic. I'm trying to avoid on-board air for critical systems right now because I don't really want to have to have it to get on the road. I have looked at the pollak parts that OLDBULL88 mentions when this comes up and I guess they are okay with a change of the plug so there are those options. I am relocating the valve because the location on a supercab is ridiculous.

The last thing on the list is the fuel pump. I have done a lot of forum reading on electric fuel pumps. It seems that the favored options are the facet (carrier) pump; the carter P4070; and the Holley pumps. I have seen mention of others but these seem to be the majority. I like the facet pump because I can put it up under the hood for easy service. Downside is it is not something every parts store will have. The carter pump has been around forever and is likely pretty easy to come by on the road (if I don't have a spare, which I likely will...except that one time I need it). If not it a similar pusher pump might be found and grafted in. The Holley pumps don't seem to get much love anymore so I'd put it lowest on the list. I will be eliminating all of the factor hard line up to the IP because the olives are stupid. I have those fittings on equipment around work and they generally are inferior to just about everything else.

What have you guys done? What are your thoughts?