Fuel sender fun

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my bed off today, (1985 6.9 ) to rebuild the fuel system. Shower heads are in pieces. The fuel senders have bad boards. I test a range from 10 to 80 Ohms on the ends of the resistor board. Can anyone confirm this? I have seen posts about using a universal with about a 33 to 277 rating, but I don't think thats gonna get it. I have to go to the city tomorrow so i will take my meter and go shopping for units that can be removed from their holders and transplanted to the Ford's.

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Keep us posted on your searches. I have the factory manuals that discuss the ohm readings and will post them as soon as I find the section again. I have trucks the same age and have either bad or no fuel level readings. The board from gassers are the same as ours, and I have been trying to find some good ones to transplant.

My front tank, I fear, has lost its shower head because I keep filling it with only 16 gallons. Not looking forward to crawling under there again, but at least it isn't the rear tank.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have these numbers saved in a text file, based on info posted on here and at STD over the last 10 years. I haven't verified them independently, but hopefully someone who knows for sure can corroborate or refute these :)

'80-'86 trucks:

70 ohms empty, 10 ohms full

'87-'97 trucks:

22.5 ohms empty, 145 ohms full

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck, even in the big city of Modesto, CA, no one stocks much of anything. I did get a part number for a universal one like pictured in the unreadable copies on another forum, that has a range of 0 to 90 Ohms. Thats close enough. I got a load of Aeroquip hose and German style clamps to do the job with, will update with a real how-to when i get er done.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0 - 90? isn't that backwords? I always get confused :mad:

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't have the fuel pickup on that part from summit. how are you going to get fuel out?

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not brain surgery, i have spent years professionally building parts for obsolete vehicles. I am going to remove the sending units from their frames and place the new ones on the old pickups. Before i do that, i will take both original frames and zip-tie them to cardboard, marking out the swing range and length of the original float arms. Then, (by means i will not determine until the parts arrive), I will mount the new senders and bend the arms to duplicate the original's function. If the resistance operating range is backwards to the original i will simply mount the new units upside down. Once I have succeeded, I will write it up and post it with photos. I intended to be workig on new copper lines right now, but Wife's in the hospital so priorities have changed. I should have this done, along with all new U-joints and brake job within a week.
I found a nice lady running a warehouse filled with Racor and other brand fuel separators in Modesto yesterday, PBT Distributors, http://www.pbtdistributors.com/ Her web pages is unfinished, but I saw she has a lot of good stuff so call her if you need something. Good prices and parts to rebuild the old units. She mentioned she has a plunger and seal similar to what goes wrong with the original ford unit, but i do not have my original to see if it can be fixed. maybe one of you guys in the region can drop in? She also has a large roll of Aeroquip 5/16 line for the return lines, way better than the Goodyear and Gates junk in the parts stores. I got 6 feet of it for 2 bucks a foot. I paid 12 bucks a foot for the blue 3/8 Aeroquip line at GHX Rubber down the street.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one from Summit has a good price. Someone else on here needed a new sending unit also, but his lines where rusted out on top. He was going to try a unit for a gas truck that had a 460. The 460's had a return line like the diesels, but also had electric in tank fuel pumps(not all did though) so a hose would have to be installed to take the place of the electric pump which you would not need to buy. And the 460 setup was offered in the 87-dwn trucks with the 90 ohm unit, and it was also offered in the 88-up trucks which had the different resistance.

He hasn't written back in that I know of, to tell us if it worked.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, they are done, work fine in static testing plugged into the truck. I haven't filled my tanks yet, won't until after i replace all U-joints and do a brake job, and drop the bed back on. Since i could not get all the crumbs from the old pickups out of the tanks, I made pickup screens. Pictures are posted, but i won't be doing a write-up for a few more days as I have a lot going on. Photo album,
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd236/arborigine/F-250%20fuel%20senders/

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one for a 86 with a 460, Works perfectly..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Nice effort on rebuilding the pickups and sending units.;Sweet Good luck with the wife's illness and hospital stay.:angel:

The only thing I would worry about is using copper over stainless. If I remember correctly, someone had long term issues with the copper lines. The pictures are great and this will surely make a good tech article when you get it together.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online