Fuel pumps, what'cha got and why that one?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started a thread yesterday, and got marvelous response, so on to the next related topic.

Which electric fuel pump did you install, why, how much did it cost you, and where did you mount it?

also, any tips for mounting the pump would be good. Mine currently is kinda hodge podged together by PO's mechanic, ( pump under hood, dirty side of filter to rubber hose to steel, back to rubber, to FSV, then the stock nylon line to the tanks.)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do a search. There are litterally pages of posts here about different E-pumps, the good, the bad, the where to mount, how to wire, and so on. Tons of info is there for you.;Sweet

Heath

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, look at it this way, if we have good response to the new thread, all that info will be in one post, and not scattered over years of posts. Thats the only thing i don't like about forums (any forums), is that you literally have to read for DAYS sometimes to find all the info.

So this is an opportunity to collect all this knowledge and maybe even get a sticky if it's good enough. If you were the author of one of those previous posts, find it and copy the relevant parts into the new one and help to condense the knowledge that is in this forum into something that is WAY more useful than a couple hundred posts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm running a Holley Red. This has worked fine but... I wore out my first one.... You can find them on Ebay both new and used from $25.00 to $125.00. I keep a spare behind my rear seat just in case. I believe the Carrier pumps are abetter pump. They work very well for the semi trucks refirgeration motors. My red is very noisey too but atleast I know its running.... Someday I will install a fuel pressure gauge in the truck...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
SEE SIG...

I'm running it because originally, it was free, but now that I've run it and they Holley's, I'll always run this one, quieter, and costs less not to mention it's been trouble free for like 4 years. They sell for $60 or so brand new, seen them even less.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm running a Holley Blue pump in my brown truck and so far am very happy with the pump. I just wish the regulator would quit leaking. The main reason I went with this one is because it was what several other members were using and I could get it in a days notice. I bought mine brand new on ebay for $100 shipped, the blue one comes with the pressure regulator.
I mounted the pump just a couple inches forward of the FSV, and the regulator is mounted on the passenger wheel well as close to the filter head as I could possibly get it IMO.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think I'd have been tempted to put the regulator in the return line...I know there is talk of advancing the IP, but I think it might take more pressure than the blue makes, but without trying it, who knows.

We ran carb'ed gassers with TPI/MPI in tank fuel pumps (mostly SBC/S10 conversions) that way. Granted, no IP, but it worked great and there was NO fuel concerns volume wise.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A universal diesel electric pump from NAPA made by facet. Seems similar to the Carrier pumps but maybe not quite as nice. It's been in there awhile now...can't remember how long. It has an integral fuel filter so that's kinda nice, seeing as I do believe in redundant fuel filtration. It was about $114, but if it stays reliable I am happy with it. My Holley red I had previously didn't make it much more than a year. I also used an el-cheapo electric pump a couple years back that lasted about 2 yrs. They aren't cut out for this job though and they will not last like a red or a Carter or a Facet.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems as thought some of those pumps are necessarily rated for diesel fuel though.

First question for a Fuel Pump FAQ sheet:

Are gasoline fuel pumps that meet our needs as far as rated pressure and flow safe for diesel fuel?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got the carter in my sig. very happy with it so far, dont have tons of miles on it yet though.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air Dog 150

I have an Air Dog 150 that isn't being used. I'm thinking of trying to adapt it to the IDI. The Air Dog pump is internally regulated to 30 psi. What should the inlet pressure to the IP be on a 6.9L engine?

Thanks,
Archie

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pressure info

Fishin76,

Thanks for the info. I don't know if they make a regulator spring that weak. I know they make a 10 psi spring- and that sounds like it would be too high.

Archie

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I mounted my Holley Red on the frame just in front of the forward tank, installed an inexpensive in-line filter between tank and pump. I kept the nylon fuel line and just cut a section out of it to accomidate the filter and pump, then slid the make-up rubber fuel hose over the existing ends of the nylon line a good ways and used double clamps about an inch apart and not overly tight. Doesn't leak a drop on supply or pressure side. When I mounted it I cleaned rust, dirt and scale off the frame and used IDEAL antioxidant electrically conductive paste to protect the connectivity of the circuit because the neg wire was just tightened under the washer on one of the mounting bolts and the pos wire was run to a toggle switch mounted through the floor in a hole left from the stock front bench seat removal on the front of the "hump" in the floor pan. It functions well as an anti-theft device because the toggle barely extends past the knap of the carpet. Other side of the switch runs straight to pos terminal of battery. No solenoid, no oil pres. enable, no fuse, no problem. On underside the switch is COMPLETELY encased in GE silicone sealant. I don't have a problem forgetting to turn it off because as many have stated before, it IS noisy- but guess what? No more hard starting problems related to air in the line... Next project, manual glow plug switch, that is..after finishing the hydrogen install, which is a whole 'nuther story.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, look at it this way, if we have good response to the new thread, all that info will be in one post, and not scattered over years of posts. Thats the only thing i don't like about forums (any forums), is that you literally have to read for DAYS sometimes to find all the info.

So this is an opportunity to collect all this knowledge and maybe even get a sticky if it's good enough. If you were the author of one of those previous posts, find it and copy the relevant parts into the new one and help to condense the knowledge that is in this forum into something that is WAY more useful than a couple hundred posts.

That's the problem with threads like this. It's the same as the one before it... and the one before that... and the one before that one. Your just being lazy, and putting the ownes on everyone else to hand you the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US