Fuel problem...injector pump is getting fuel but won't push fuel?!?!

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I did that several times and got nothing so I took a couple lines totally off and still nothing.

This truck has been one headache after another.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
how fast is that engine spinning over, you should not be able to count the revs. you mentioned earlier about using starting fluid and it still would not pop (not a good idea BTW). slow spinning might be working against you.

you can use a regular tire gage on the shrader fitting, is there pressure there after cranking? you should have pressure there and solid stream of fuel no air. if you are getting air there constantly you are pulling it in form somewhere. i was going to suggest earlier that you could be pulling air in somewhere between the tanks and the engine but if you have that bypassed.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it's not spinning like it should. Im probably gonna try to pull it. No air since I bypassed everything. BUT to pull it I gotta fix my crazy clutch problem and at least one blown brake line. Something so simple has turned into a nightmare...and at the end of the processs after it's ready to be mobile!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is that your fuel is coming out of the filter head loaded with junk, and you have managed to clog the IP inlet screen?

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we Prime a dry idi, we usually leave the glowplugs out. We then crank the engine several times stopping to keep from frying the starter.
We crank the engine until diesel starts to spray out of the glow plug holes. By the time it sprays out al the holes. It usually fires right away once the glow,plugs are in.
The reason we do it this way, aside from making a big mess, is that the engine cranks really fast so the pump primes the lines rather quickly.
It also confirms that were getting fuel to the cylinders. If we don't get fuel, then we know something is wrong elsewhere

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no fuel, but I haven't messed with it much. I DID however get my clutch and my brake lines fixed. But I found a couple wires torn and I don't see anything that hooks back to them AND I have a big green wire from my solenoid on the fender that I don't know where it goes. I took the motor out almost two years ago. I took pictures of most of it but not that one.

Anyone know how to upload pic from an IPhone? Or someone with an 87 I can swindle into looking under their hood for me? Lol

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Best way to get nice big pictures here is to open a photobucket account, and get whatever code works on the site. I don't remember if it's the IMG or HTML one. Or, you send it to your email account as a picture message and upload it from your computer.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
If you have a url for the image you can just wrap it in img tags.

You must be registered for see images

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wire goes to the solenoid on the fender. It seems stock since it has the little black rubber things that say "fusible link" just like all the other wires to the solenoid. But I can't remember where it's supposed to go.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach