Fuel Leaks & IP Removal

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, my IP is leaking, pulled the line going from the middle of it to the filter, rubber seal is just fell apart. so here come the questions...

1. Do all of the lines have these rubber seals, and where can they be purchased (they appear signifigantly thicker than just an o-ring)?

2. I have not pulled the IP totally out yet.I have read not to pull the gear cover however my manual says I need to, and I cannot get to the bolt on the lower passanger side that holds the pump to the gear...what am I missing?

3. Am I correct in my assumption that if I have an injector line leaking at the pump (as in a solid river of fuel) it will have the same effect as the line being open at the injector itself, hence the injector not firing (all of my other symptoms fall into the catagory of bad injector, but I cant see paying to get them tested until I know they are getting the fuel they need to operate)?

Looking forward to some help
Timothy

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The line from the filter to the inj pump should be the only one with the rubber seals. I don't know off hand where to get one other than trying the dealer.
The hard lines to the injectors are steel, no rubber seals.
DON'T pull the gear cover off! There should be a way to get the nuts that hold the pump to the cover, and unbolt the three 12 point bolts that attach the pump to the gear, under the access cover on the front of the gear cover. Pull the pump with the lines still attached so you don't get them mixed up.
And if your leak is enough to reduce pressure to the injector (which wouldn't take much) the injector will never open, so take care of that first...
Sounds like you're on the right track, Good luck

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most standard 9/16th wrenches won't have enough angle to get to the bottom nuts. Most will heat the wrench and bend it to a steeper angle to reach those nuts better. Ford sells (or used to) a special wrench for just those nuts.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those line seals are called olives. They are on each end of the feed line to the pump from the filter head..Nothing is used like that on the injector hard lines. They seal by a metal to metal compression fit and they can't be replaced. Only the entire line is replaceable.. Now seeing your in AZ give Hectorwithinjectors a call or phenoix injector servive a call. At one time they both advertized on Ebay. Both are easy to deal with. The return line back near the number 8 injector has an olive seal in it also. Its kinda hidden way back there. Its brass and has 3 return line hoeses connecting to it. Most have no idea its back there ans it can develop a leak.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Why are You pulling the pump?

No need to pull it and risk more leaks?

Just replace the olives, and be done with the IP inlet leak.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to clean eveything up and make it all look purdy.....I think a dog did his business in my valley pan ;)

seriously got it all done to find 1 of my hard lines is also bad....replacement ordered along with the vib clamp.....although I know the lines wee expensive, I had no clue the clamps wee so critical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online