Fuel gauge problem on the 89

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
On the 89 on the front tank the gauge pegs way past full never moves,

Switch to the rear and it falls to empty i know it works cause the rear tank has a hole in it and its empty:D

Whats my problem here?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Circuit is open somewhere- whenever I got my 87 the FSV was gone which made the gauge go full right. jumped the right pins at the fsv connector now I have a working fuel gauge.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch to the front tank. With the key in run, and someone watching the fuel gauge, take the wire off the sending unit and ground it. Then take it off ground. Each time you do this, the gauge should swing full scale from empty to full, back and forth. If it passes this test, the sending unit is bad.

Reaction score
there is a spade connector right inside of the fuel pickup plate. That tends to fall off....the front tank can be accessed without dropping the tank from the side/top

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
David, have u ran the tank down to practically empty (like, get the surge that air does to an IDI?) I ask because my front tank on the gauge will stay pinned clear past full, needle laying flat, until I have maybe two gallons left, then it drops to empty in less than 5 miles. If I don't find a fuel station, I start getting air surges. I've just learned to watch it closely and use the trip meter. 250 miles, then I need to switch or fill.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
David, have u ran the tank down to practically empty (like, get the surge that air does to an IDI?) I ask because my front tank on the gauge will stay pinned clear past full, needle laying flat, until I have maybe two gallons left, then it drops to empty in less than 5 miles. If I don't find a fuel station, I start getting air surges. I've just learned to watch it closely and use the trip meter. 250 miles, then I need to switch or fill.

I have run it till it was about to die, it does something weird when i hit the brakes when its almost empty going down the road then it starts to fall down then flys back up past full, only does it going down the road not setting still