Fuel Filter Light On Always

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 93 6.9L IDI. It sat for 4 months and cranked it up. Changed the fuel filter, then drove it 25 miles. On the return trip of 25 miles, the Fuel Filter light was on all the time from idle to 1800 RPMs. Obviously the filter COULD be clogged and needs to be replace. If I replace it, first I am going to siphon the filter out, and replace it with new. I'm wondering if there could be some error causing the light to come on when it shouldn't. I removed the two leads that connect to the filter and put them back on. There isn't a short. Any ideas?

BigRedWeather

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off International nor Ford had 6.9 motors in any truck after 87 or 88. So you probably have a transplant... Thats not a bad thing either... Sitting 4 months will cause some "stuff" to grow in the fuel tanks. Now killing the growth is going to ruin several filters... Sometimes it cheaper to drop a tank and clean it out. The front tank drops easily but the rear is terrible. And if you have lets say 2 or more gallons in it it will slosh around causeing all kinds of handleing issues. Think about a monkey trying to love a football....:rotflmao

lpennock

Reaction score
First off International nor Ford had 6.9 motors in any truck after 87 or 88. So you probably have a transplant... Thats not a bad thing either... Sitting 4 months will cause some "stuff" to grow in the fuel tanks. Now killing the growth is going to ruin several filters... Sometimes it cheaper to drop a tank and clean it out. The front tank drops easily but the rear is terrible. And if you have lets say 2 or more gallons in it it will slosh around causeing all kinds of handleing issues. Think about a monkey trying to love a football....:rotflmao

I agree dropping is easier. If you decide to just burn it out, Don't forget to put algae killer in it first. You will burn through a few fuel filter just running it out though.

rustnsuch

Reaction score
Open the drain on the filter and run the engine for a minute, close the drain and see what happens.