fuel filter bs!

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
My fuel filter is stuck! Everything online says to twist right. I twist it right (towards the fan) and it doesn't do ****. What in the f.... I rammed a screwdriver through it, hit the ******** paper and can't do anything else! Least I got diesel running down rthe block to clean it! :mad:

How does this come off! Just wasted $13 on a wrench that it bent up! Still not off!

Help!

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's standard thread just inverted. "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy" If you're standing at the passenger fender you should be cranking it towards the firewall.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to look at a pic for a 85 F350, looks the fuel filter is the same as my 93.
If your standing on the passenger side of the pickup, the filter should turn towards the firewall to loosen.
Thats how my filter comes off.:dunno(on a 93)

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son of a *****. Bet I stripped the ******* threads! I hate online advice...

Kinda in the wrong place then aren't you.

Online advise is just like any other advise.

You listen to someones advise and file it away as this guy said this. And only until you got other knowledgeable people agreeing with it do you let it override your own personal knowledge and go with the advise.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GUYS....whoa...NO MATTER WHICH WAY you turn it it's towards FIREWALL :rotflmao clockwise or counter clockwise this is just like TP over the top on the front....or the back side of the roll...LOL either way is over the top....

Now to get a better perspective on this looking DOWN from above the filter so that you see filter head then filter below...you actually turn it from this perspective CLOCKWISE which from the lowest portion of the filter is CCW the correct direction.

It is like any other filter that I know of RIGHTY TIGHTY LEFTY LOOSEY! all of this from BOTTOM of filter mind you

JM2CW

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's standard thread just inverted. "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy" If you're standing at the passenger fender you should be cranking it towards the firewall.

I agree.

If your shoving screw drives through it. Get one long enough to go all the way through the other side or use 2.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with the 7.3 header I got at the salvage yard. I eventually did the same thing, rammed something through it, then used a mallet to beat on that to break it and then I could thread it off. It was a nightmare.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I'm not mad at him, I'm happy for a clear answer! Everything else I found online said "turn right to loosen it!" Now I am very enraged I've probably got a stripped filter head, which don't grow on trees!

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
... Swear I've all done is got fuel all over the place now. On my turbo pipe, exhaust, everything. I smell fire when I get this off and fixed! :mad* ******** it all to hell....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If u was closer I'd give U factory filter head LOL but others can ship internally of US cheaper think I've got 5 now

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need strap wrench. I have had some really bad filters over the years put on by people who don't know how to put filters on and it has been a good investment for me.

I have this one and you can but a good size socket wrench in it and just crush a filter with it until something gives.

Had a filter on a cat engine once that I had crushed almost half the size and finally got pi$$ed and but a breaker bar on it and said its coming off or or i'm ripping it into. It came off. :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I understand how you feel. Mine was on so damned tight I had to use a huge pair of channellock pliers to remove it once. I don't know about others but I use a grease and not an oil or diesel to lube the gasket. Thats seems to work better for me. It can be a nasty job removing a filter on these 7.3 heads. Not much room and for no good reason they can become really tight. If you below the top of the filter about 1 inch then the threads will be fine. I'm not sure but I feel the filter metal is softer than the fitting on the filter head. So the filter may have stripped its threads. not the other way around. If it is damaged just need to source that single piece and many wrecking yard have a 7.3 or 2 sitting there. I believe the hex size is 1 inch but measure it before you go looking.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil or grease is good for the seal surface IMHO

I've said this before and I'll say it again....

When tightening down a filter do so according to instructions then add a tiny wee bit more, this makes the rubber seal take a set in a direction in other words it sort of twists inside the groove like this \\\\\\\\\

Then take and CRACK it back the other way a wee bit again making that rubber seal take the set this way //////// this then is set in the easy to take off direction. As that rubber work/heat hardens it becomes more difficult to remove if left in the first position.

This is an old trick taught to me by an old hand mechanic and works well. Most filters require a slight tug of wrench and off the come. I've never had to fight a filter I put on in this method yet! YET!!

JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance