front end question

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, so the part that covers the end of the drive axles on the front end that the hub assembly mounts onto is called the spindle, correct? and if so, the so presumed spindles on the d50 i got has some surface rust on them, would i be able to get away with taking some scotch brite or steel wool to them to clean it off or am i going to have to get another set since its a machined surface? :dunno

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yea. i dunno why not. Or buy a rust brush for a 3/8 drill u can buy at walmart for round $4.00. and just have away, it wont hurt it.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. i dunno why not. Or buy a rust brush for a 3/8 drill u can buy at walmart for round $4.00. and just have away, it wont hurt it.

the part that im worried about is that isnt it supposed to be a machined smooth surface that helps seal for the wheel bearing/hub assembly? i dont want to have to go through my wheel bearing dilemma again on my new axle just because i went cheap.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, you'll be fine. Wire wheel it clean, then if you feel so inclined, spread some bearing grease on the surfaces. I did that about 100k ago on mine. No issues to date.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the bearings out of the hub, just clean the spindle up and trial fit the bearings. You want them just to slide on, not too loose though.
The one area you do want smooth is the surface on the edge of the lip that the wheel bearing seal rides on. Get it as smooth as possible so it does not tear the rubber on the seal.

Also test fit the large nut on the end and make sure it threads on ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online