Front end help.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So nearly 300,000 miles later, my front end is about wore out. And all those years with the PO pushing snow didnt help things either.

So it seems my options are this: rebuild the Dana 50 or swap in a dana 60.

now I dont think the 50 is a bad axle. after all its had a good run. but then again if the 60 is SOOOO much better, then ill swap it. however after my hydroboost install, I heavily favor the rebuild option.

So I need opinions from those who have rebuilt the 50 and who have swapped the 60. And I assume I should rebuild the 60 before I swap it anyhow.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my entire Dana 50 front end. This was the second time I have gone through one. After doing the first one in about 3 days, the second one I finished in 1 day. 1 really looong day.
I spent about $350 to rebuild the TTB; all new ball joints, camber kit, u-joints, wheel bearings, wheel seals.
A Dana 60 runs about $850-$1000 around these parts, and that usually is missing the steering linkage, U-bolts, leaf springs, track bar, and track bar bracket.
If I could have afforded a Dana 60 swap, I would have.
If I were running a stock truck, no lift or bigger tires, or PLOW, I'd run the TTB.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've probably already told you about my experience with the D50 overhaul though it might be apples and oranges with a 4X4 and since most likely you have balljoints. Last year I did all tie rod ends and the steering drag link. Cost about $200-300...I did most of the labor but my friend Gunnar did some so I gave him some money for the hour or so he spent helping out and the use of his shop. This summer, I did the kingpins, axle pivot bushings and radial arm bushings and replaced some of the bolts and washers under there. It's a big project and since you and your truck work for a living you need to plan for it to be down for a few days, either while you have some already planned days off or have another vehicle with which to get to work. The cost for parts and machine work were about $400 altogether for the kingpins/bushings/bolts and having the new bronze bushings reamed exactly right. The results were worth the cost of having the machinist work the kingpins....as I've been told reaming them too loose will still have the same effect as the old worn out units and too tight will give problems steering. I know the spindles weren't the only thing that got reamed, but considering he did such a nice job for me and over a holiday weekend I wasn't pissed. I paid my friend a little more labor and a little more for shop time on this one because he had more invested in this job. It was expensive but needed to be done...kingpins were stuck and would not take grease...axle pivot bushings almost didn't exit anymore. This truck had only about 218,000 on it at the time and has not been worked quite as hard as Jim's truck, never seen a snowplow that I know of, and is mostly a DD with me. So if mine was due, yours is definitely due, but the balljoints might make some stuff different, though to what extent I'm not quite sure.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
With that many miles, and that axle still living under the truck, it sure seems to have beat the bad rap these axles normally get. I say rebuild it since it has lived this long!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all my ball joints, shocks, ujoints except driveshaft, tie rods on 4x4 Dana 44 ttb. I thought it was a 50 but the hubs were small so it's a 44 or 44hd. Cost was around 375 I'm guessing. Oh and two adjustable alignment bushings

The frontend still worked alright but the tie rods were shot and ujoints rusted. Still 4x4'd when I needed it. I think the main issue is aligning a TTB properly. Next summer I will probably go back and change the wheel bearings and seals, and replace the springs.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
With that many miles, and that axle still living under the truck, it sure seems to have beat the bad rap these axles normally get. I say rebuild it since it has lived this long!

this is what I m thinking. Yeah its not a bad axle its just wore out. That plow must weigh at least 600 pounds too:eek:

So anyway I guess I need to compile a parts list.

and yes I will need new leaf springs. probably needs new bump stops too since they are worn down;Really

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree the TTB axle is not a "bad" axle..... we had a 44 under an F-150 and had no trouble with it eating tires, alignment staying on.....

The only trouble we had, and it was out own fault, is we lost the spline shaft connection in the right-hand axle "half" because of lack of maintainence. We did not grease it.... actually did not know it was there until it failed..... other than that, we had no issues.... and that truck towed and hauled....

However, it did not have a plow, and the largest tires that were ever installed were 31x10.50r15 LT's..... truck rode very nice, and was only an inch or two taller than the 2wd... so I would say in the service it has given you, rebuild it and enjoy for another 300k miles....

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the 60. Less to where out over all. Ill probably be pulling one soon for sale.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Go with the 60. Less to where out over all. Ill probably be pulling one soon for sale.

What he said
I have 1500 into my D60 swap in my 97. that includes...

Used axle for 400
New FORD leaf springs
Sky Mfg RSK
ALL new XRF steering linkage
ALL new XRF ball joints
ALL new Spicer u-joints
ALL new Timken wheel bearings
New rotors
New Calipers
New Brake pads
New sway bar end links and bushings
New outer axle stub
New spindle
New Axle seals
New pinion seal
New spindle need bearings and seals
New u-bolts(you do NOT reuse u-bolts)
New Bilstine shocks
New SKY Mfg adjustable track bar
All new hardware(grade 8)
I also had to make a new passenger side u-bolt plate/track bar mount(mine was rotten)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
new update. so I looked under the truck today and saw my right front u-joint is just about broke. Its about as loose as a 5 dollar... ehh its pretty loose.

So I think the time is sooner rather than later.

So......

What is the best source for parts?
I assume Spicer is the best u-joint.

Also where do I get new leaf springs? also I am interested in add-a-leaf. thoughts?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I got mine replacement rear springs from generalspringskc.com They are pretty pricey but I have noticed alot better height added when I load my GN down. My headlights aren't focused on the sky anymore when towing.

I have precision super strengths on my front axle shafts. I was looking for a replacement rear axle for my 85. Wanting to swap in a D70 over the sterling but it hasn't happened yet but I have been having alot of luck finding several F350s complete trucks with 4.10s with the 60 for under $800. Been meaning to snag one but most of my money is going into the big truck right now, its plowing season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk