Front crank seal

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
So I deleted the CDR today and same day sprung a big leak on the front crank seal. I read an old post about the seal and needing a special tool to install the new seal. I’m looking for advice from anyone that’s done them any tips or tricks you learned that might help. I’m a diesel mechanic just looking for an idea of what to expect on this old truck. Do i need this special seal installer?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i replaced my front main, I had the timing cover off which made it easier. So long as you have a plate with a hole cut out in the middle for the crank for you to hit against it shouldn't be bad. One thing to keep in mind, there is no hard stop to butt the seal against. I used silicone to help hold the seal in place and pushed it in until it was flush with the outside of the flange.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one that a member built to use the three nuts welded to the front plate for this purpose. I believe there's an option on the front seal to get a wear sleeve for the crankshaft nose as well. Make sure you know what version is in your truck before you dig in and get surprised.

https://www.oilburners.net/posts/1045924/

Reactions: dgr

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you delete your CDR? You still have a crankcase vent right?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably *part* of your leak, and why it happened now; instead of putting a slight negative pressure on the crankcase, you've got a slight positive pressure(from the gasses having to escape by themselves), so instead of the front seal leaking "inward"...

I personally don't see any reason to delete the CDR - the CDR itself does nothing(normally), and just stays open. Crankcase gasses get burned(and there are a *lot* of them), and it doesn't look like your truck is on fire!

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to add some RTV under the washer to keep oil from leaking past the keyway.

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
That's probably *part* of your leak, and why it happened now; instead of putting a slight negative pressure on the crankcase, you've got a slight positive pressure(from the gasses having to escape by themselves), so instead of the front seal leaking "inward"...

I personally don't see any reason to delete the CDR - the CDR itself does nothing(normally), and just stays open. Crankcase gasses get burned(and there are a *lot* of them), and it doesn't look like your truck is on fire!

i am sure the reason the front seal started to leak is directly because of the cdr delete wish i never would have done it!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I do it’s just not routed into the intake. It’s routed under the truck.

Yeah good that's why I asked. I had an issue where mine had a restriction inline and it puked out LOTS of oil. I fixed it and now it's not leaking anymore.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came out with a 3 jaw puller

Think I just tapped the replacement in with a big mallet. it’s not leaking so I did something right

You must be registered for see images attach