Front cover stripped

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Well i was installing a new waterpump and was tightening on the top 2 bolts and the driver side on just kept going didnt tighten at all or even seem like it grabbed on. Now i dont know what to do:mad:. Also how hard is it to remove this front cover while the motors in the truck? I have 2 parts motors and could swap them out if its not too bad. Please help. Thankyou

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen I tapped the cover one size bigger and drilled the water pump to match it seems to be holding even though I didn't torque that bolt all the way down because I felt like it was going to strip.

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Thanks George D. I guess that's what ill have to do. The cover looks too hard to take off without disassembling the front of the truck to get to it. Will Advanced have taps? :confused:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just be VERY carefull with them top two bolts. if they are two long they will contact the IP gear and cause lots of cursing to insue.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use heli-coils. I personally think all aluminum threads should be heli-coiled. So much stronger.

jacobbingham

Reaction score
What next size bolts would i need? If i was gonna tap out the hole to make it bigger

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was woried about helicoils being too long but if you trim them it might be the better way to go

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW pulling the cover with the engine in the truck isn't the easiest thing, but it is possible...I did it in 2004. You won't hate life quite as much if you pull the grille, radiator, and a/c condenser, but that should be all you need to disassemble in the front end.

On the converse, keep in mind that, when you're drilling, any metal shavings you can't recover will be going into the oil pan via the timing gears.

gatorman21218

Reaction score

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not aluminum, and I think an 8mm course thread will grab enough to hold. That plate is real thin so be careful, and that plate wont helicoil worth a crap.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen when I was reassembling my engine but it was on an engine stand, but I did use heli coils in both top holes.

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Which helicoils did you use? How did you go about it? Im trying to get this fixed so i can drive it

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I used the 5/16-18 or as I say 5/16 coarse thread, I got the kit from my local NAPA parts dealer, it came with a tap, the helicoil inserts and the tool to install the inserts, I believe the price was about $35, all you need to provide is the drill and the kit tells you what drill to use. Just follow the instructions on the kit and you wont get it wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online