Front Air Bag Helper Springs

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will deff look up what you have done...I am always interested in what ideas people have come up with...in theory, with a properly designed system the sweet spot is usually somewhere around 65psi...would love to see how and where its chewing up the tires, and if its all 4 or just the fronts

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Why would you "chew" up tires any worse with an air bag then an add-a-leaf? Seems the principal would be the same either way. I found the Firestone Ride Rite kit for my truck for $233.00 shipped to my door.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typically chewing up tires with airbags is caused by a size or placement issue, but there could be lots of other reasons as well...kind of why i am curious to research and see pics

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Timothy....... You seem to be experienced in air bag systems. Do you see any problems with the Firestone Ride Rite on the front of my truck. Again just to be used as leveling approx an inch or so ?? I still really like the idea of having some type of adjustable leveling device as opposed to an add-a-leaf and you get what you get.

Have you seen or used this particular bag on the front of one of our diesel trucks and if so, what was the result ??

I guess on a side note, I am not riding on the bump stops and don't absolutley have to have any leveling device but the truck has that "raked" look. The springs are probably about 1 inch off the bump stops now, although I'm not sure how many inches the truck should have between the bump stops and the spring. Seems like it should be 2 inches or more.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
typically chewing up tires with airbags is caused by a size or placement issue, but there could be lots of other reasons as well...kind of why i am curious to research and see pics

heres mine

Attachments

• MVC-484S.JPG
    MVC-484S.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
  • MVC-485S.JPG
    MVC-485S.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 7
  • MVC-486S.JPG
    MVC-486S.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 9
  • MVC-487S.JPG
    MVC-487S.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 7
  • MVC-488S.JPG
    MVC-488S.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
  • MVC-489S.JPG
    MVC-489S.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 9
  • MVC-490S.JPG
    MVC-490S.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 4
  • MVC-491S.JPG
    MVC-491S.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 8

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics diesel4me2.... I see you have made some mods on the front of your truck. Do you think the tire wear problem could be due to the mods and link type suspension changes you have made and not the air bags ? Just wondering because I'm still just running the stock Ford suspension with leaf springs and I'm wondering how the bags would work with the stock Ford suspension with no mods.

Just out of curiosity...... How does the truck ride with the bags and are the bags the Firestone Ride Rites ???

diesel4me2

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics diesel4me2.... I see you have made some mods on the front of your truck. Do you think the tire wear problem could be due to the mods and link type suspension changes you have made and not the air bags ? Just wondering because I'm still just running the stock Ford suspension with leaf springs and I'm wondering how the bags would work with the stock Ford suspension with no mods.

Just out of curiosity...... How does the truck ride with the bags and are the bags the Firestone Ride Rites ???

well since the truck was 2 wheel drive when i bought it, yeah it's been modded, the axle is the correct make and model for the truck though. do i think the mods had any affect on the tires, doubtful. when i spoke to the tire manufacture and they recommended some things to try, did them to no avail. the only thing that stopped the wear was to put the bags at 90 lbs instead of 55. now it's a ruff ride. no give in the suspension. different shocks might have helped, but it's a mute point now. i'm tearing it all out as soon as funds are available and reworking it with a new link and coilover application (front and rear) that i have bouncing around in my head. ;Sweet

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diesel4me2...obviously without seeing in person or without getting measurments its hard to tell exactly whats going on, but from looking at it I see no reason that your rear tires should be getting torn up at 55~65psi, however from looking at the front, if the pics are at 90psi I would not be surprised if you are tearing up the fronts at 55~65psi. if you want to confirm my suspisions, measure the distance from the top of the hub or rim to the bottom of the fender at 55, 65 and 90psi and post the results. I am expecting to see a signifigant change in height (.75" or more) across the range, and if so its easy to fix...Very nice setup by the way :)

As far as the ride, once you cross 65psi, either the weight load has to go up, or the ride will get firm, so "not great" at 90 is expected...whats it like at 55 (besides being expensive to replace tires)

Diesel Max - I have yet to do it with an IDI, but I have done several full size gassers. Majority of my experience is on med & heavy duty apps, as well as performance and track cars. I would not hesitate to use the Ride-Rite, just make sure that if you have lifted it or have any other mod along those lines you take that into account and get the correct height spring

diesel4me2

Reaction score
if you want to confirm my suspisions, measure the distance from the top of the hub or rim to the bottom of the fender at 55, 65 and 90psi and post the results. I am expecting to see a signifigant change in height (.75" or more) across the range, and if so its easy to fix...Very nice setup by the way :)

As far as the ride, once you cross 65psi, either the weight load has to go up, or the ride will get firm, so "not great" at 90 is expected...whats it like at 55 (besides being expensive to replace tires)

what would be "the fix" you speak of? i'm a novice at this whole air system game. i fabed it in my driveway, a week before i had to be in pennsylvania for a rally :rotflmao.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my kind of man...do it at crunch time....its amazing how fast you can get crap done when you are under the gun :D

Seriously though, check your ride height at 55 & 90, from looking at it I suspect you are running the spring near the top of its height capacity (as 90psi would be)to correct an alignment issue (causing it to eat tires)...once you have the variance of the two numbers you can compensate by shortening your spring perches.

Personally, I would get the measurements, shim it, readjust my air pressure to bring it back to what the height measurment was at 90PSI, at test it out....from there you can dial it in a little more with smaller movements and get the ride and handling to something you like, then just remount the perches in the new spots....its a bit of work, but honestly thet setup is pretty sweet to just throw away...I think with a little work you will be really happy with it.

Seriously, post the measurements...I am dying to know, and clarify where and which tires you are tearing up at 55psi...I am an info ****** (kind of like your a gauge ******)

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are some of the nicest kits....but IIRC they are bank in comparision...

okay...just looked...yupp...those are a decent chunk of change

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this post because every truck I get I consider getting some sort of air assist for. My wondering is about the air SHOCKS. The shock mounts on my truck is pretty thin steel. Is there the possibility of tearing them off the axle or frame with a set of shocks aired all the way up? It doesn't seem as though they were designed to support the loads the shocks would put on them. Always wondered since I only need an extra 1,500 lbs or so for leveling off the rear of my truck when I've got the big horses on the rear.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those are some of the nicest kits....but IIRC they are bank in comparision...

okay...just looked...yupp...those are a decent chunk of change
imho....it's either those or a rebuilt bench every year($400)ea.
In a short wheelbase towtruck, any relief from bouncing off the cracks in the pavement is welcome:hail:hail:hail;Sweet

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I am not a fan of air shocks for load leveling/carrying, but this is just my opinion, so others may feel different. My thoughts go something like this...you need to look at the original intended design, in this case the spring carries the weight, the shock controls the rebound and movement of the spring....again, these are just my thoughts