Front Air Bag Helper Springs

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Is anyone currently using or can anyone recommend air bag helper springs for the FRONT of a 93 7.3 Diesel 4X4 ? As with all these trucks, mine is sagging in the front due to the weight of the diesel engine. I would prefer the air bags as opposed to the add-a-leaf helper springs.

Thanks for the input.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try replacing the bushings in the front end. When I replaced the ones on mine I gained about 1.5 inches.

Mine were crushed and worn allowing everything to sag and creak.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, those and the shackle bushings. I think the kit was around 60 bucks at autozone for the polyurathane ones.

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be easy to put some 2600lb bags in there. super easy. probably could get away with buying a good used rear helper kit and just put it on the front.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I did this on my 88 & would advise against it. When you pump up the bags to level the truck, you lose ride quality. I could live with it because I didn't drive far to work but if your commute is a good distance, get an air seat!!

These were firestone bags:

Attachments

• P4240016.JPG
    P4240016.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P4240017.JPG
    P4240017.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P4240015.JPG
    P4240015.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P4240021.JPG
    P4240021.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 11

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Michigan Truck Spring.

This is the link to firestone front airbags for our yr trucks. You want the second one down (4x4).
I've bought all four sets of airbags I've owned from these people. They are excellent with fast shipping & fantastic customer service. Not pushing them on you but I've had a great experience with 'em

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Michigan Truck Spring.

This is the link to firestone front airbags for our yr trucks. You want the second one down (4x4).
I've bought all four sets of airbags I've owned from these people. They are excellent with fast shipping & fantastic customer service. Not pushing them on you but I've had a great experience with 'em

How does the truck ride with the airbags in the front ? Are you using the Firestone Ride Rite bags ?? I wouldn't think the ride would be too bad as long as your not putting max PSI in them. The part # is Firestone Rite Rite 2223. Below is the link of what I'm looking at purchasing.........

http://truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/ridrite_riderite.html

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
One other thing........... Is there a difference between the airbag and the air spring ? Do they make an air spring for the front of our trucks ??

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
If you run a little air in them just to keep the front end up, it should be fine. I had alot of psi in mine to stay level. I don't think there is a difference between an airbag & air spring. Different people call them different things I guess. Firestone, Ride Rite, & Air Ride all have a kit for the front end but they are all the same kit. The bags are just molded with the respective company name on them, but I think firestone makes them all

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Apextrans. All I'm looking to do is level about 1 - 1.5 in the front. I'm not looking to fully support anything like a plow, etc. I also don't want it to ride like a tank either. i had heard the Firestone bags would ride better then the 1.5 inch steel add-a leafs and that's why I was looking into them. If the ride is going be be stiff or harsh, I may just as well go with the steel add-a-leafs as they are about $100 cheaper. I have air bags on my Class C Motorhome in the rear and they made a huge difference in the ride (for the better) but I only run about 60 - 65 PSI in them. I was thinking lower PSI in the ride rites would be the same principal and I wouldn't think I would have to pump them up alot to get the truck leveled out. That was the thought any way.