Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below are the pics. Let me know if they work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Drivers side front 1

DS 2

DS 3

DS 4 rear

Passenger side front 1

PS 2

PS 3

PS 4

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver side cylinders looking cleaner than the passenger side.

Most definately, yes. This is interesting to me. But......last year when I took off cylinder heads, the drivers side was cracked. So I got a donor engine from Brian and used one of the heads off his engine, got it rebuilt, & put it on mine. When I pulled them a few weeks ago from original block, the pistons didnt show any piston-valve contact marks. So this tells me a few things. First, the block being decked certainly didn't help matters. Second, the specs must have been different between the two heads OR the machine shop did something different with the drivers side when rebuilding. Regardless, I hope to clarify alot of this tomorrow. Still need to figure out how to measure piston protrusion & what tools are required for that job.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That one head could have been milled flat once before, so having it done again, even if it's within spec, might have gotten cut down just enough. That coupled with the .030 aftermarket pistons that may be .00x taller than factory could contribute to your valves smacking the pistons. ALWAYS measure. One of the reasons why I prefer inline sixers. Milling on block/head doesn't have to be done at an angle in relation to the next angle. All flat :D

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
As I recall the same shop that did the short block also checked your heads???
Before the new block was put into service.
If this is the case.....

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one head could have been milled flat once before, so having it done again, even if it's within spec, might have gotten cut down just enough. That coupled with the .030 aftermarket pistons that may be .00x taller than factory could contribute to your valves smacking the pistons. ALWAYS measure. One of the reasons why I prefer inline sixers. Milling on block/head doesn't have to be done at an angle in relation to the next angle. All flat :D

Good point. I will be taking my other spare head in tomorrow just in case we decide to use that one or rob valves from it if others are damaged.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you have time, also measure how far the piston sticks out of the deck.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
As I recall the same shop that did the short block also checked your heads???
Before the new block was put into service.
If this is the case.....

No. Short block came from back east. Heads were done in Sacramento.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I measured protrusion using some feeler gauges and a straightedge on top of the piston at TDC. Could the cam gear be off a tooth?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Measure both the valve depth in the heads and the piston protrusion from the deck. If the shop has no idea how or where to measure the head thickness please find another shop. I say this kindly. I do not know the shop or what they can do. They may or may not know about valve recession into the heads. I can loan you the tool to easily check the piston to deck height. Just pm me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online