Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measure both the valve depth in the heads and the piston protrusion from the deck. If the shop has no idea how or where to measure the head thickness please find another shop. I say this kindly. I do not know the shop or what they can do. They may or may not know about valve recession into the heads. I can loan you the tool to easily check the piston to deck height. Just pm me.

Thanks for the generous offer Gary! Might take you up on that but I might try a straight edge and feeler gauges first & see where that gets me

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also they make replacement valves with a thicker margin for sunken seats.Something we dont need ,especially if surfacing decks and heads. Cheapo quickie fix for some shops. These engines can be sunk a long way in the seats before hard starting is an issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the generous offer Gary! Might take you up on that but I might try a straight edge and feeler gauges first & see where that gets me

Zero out a dial indicator on deck swivel mag so indicator is above piston bring piston to tdc read indicator.

JM0.030"W

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also they make replacement valves with a thicker margin for sunken seats.Something we dont need ,especially if surfacing decks and heads. Cheapo quickie fix for some shops. These engines can be sunk a long way in the seats before hard starting is an issue.

That's interesting information. Thanks for sharing I didn't know that.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I measured the piston protrusion to deck. It is .020 so I think we are good there. Looks like this is on the machine shop who did heads now.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I just checked the piston protrusion on my old short block and it measures out to exactly .020 too. What the hell is going on here??

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cam....
due to the higher lift cam, the valves are protruding into the "combustion area" more.

or you used different head gaskets.

you can always bring the head by and i can mic the valves for you....

perhaps, when you got them inspected they took some metal off the deck of the heads?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same felpro head gaskets. And they didn't take any more material off of heads when I brought them in. Thanks for offer Brian but I'm on my way up to Sacramento. Got 3 heads in back of truck lol.
So the only other thing this could have been is the camshaft I am guessing. That and maybe weak valve springs?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If a head was milled below 4.975 that only means the head is at the minimum thickness measured from the machined deck surface to the valve cover gasket machined area. The valves will clear the pistons if they are within specs. Only if the valves are not sunk into the head seats correctly will the valves POSSIBLY contact the pistons. Measuring the pistons above the deck of the block can only be done correctly from the very center of the piston at tdc. This is why the piston to deck tool is so necessary. I will search for the pic and try to post it here later.
This is what I was referring to. I purchased mine from Northern Tools some time ago but this is the idea.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-B-40100-U...:g:O-kAAOSwGvhT0Bza&item=400746292813&vxp=mtr
This is the tool I have from Northern Tools. Its red with the magnets on the feet. Its stupid simple to use.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ef935935a116b3d0e05c8a8ebaf2913bo0&ajaxhist=0

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measured all valve recession with my cylinder heads at Brian's. They all are within spec......