Freightliner and MB motors??

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Anybody here got any opinions on the Freightliner medium duty rigs with the Mercedes Benz motors?

How difficult/expensive are they to maintain and work on?

Any thoughts?

John

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can tell you is what I hear on the street: Freightliner is on the below average side of quality compared to other brands.

M/B diesels are nice, but I gotta think they're expensive to work on compared to IH or Cummins or Detroit. Probably a lot like CAT.

My gut feeling would be that it would be fine as a new truck under warranty, but once it expires, it could be expensive to repair & maintain.

A company I buy lumber from stopped buying IH and went to Freighties. They don't like any of them and are now buying IH again.

Another yard I do business with has 2 of them, both less than 4 years old, they look really bad already. Kind of like they're falling apart.

I sat in the cab of their tandem and thought it was very nice inside. I also think they're good looking trucks.

Truckie

Reaction score
I know the older M/B motors are good, the ones that are in the Lebehrs, on the heavy equipment. I cant comment on the newer ones as I have not worked on them and have not heard any gossip on them.

Brickman

Reaction score
From what I hear on the street, not good.

Once heard of a $1800 alternator that took most of a week to get shipped into where this dudes truck was down. MB parts are high from what I hear.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I haven't heard a thing about the M/D M/B's, but I've heard plenty bad about the ones in Class 8 rigs. Heard of at least 2, that came apart, somewhat violently.

ndurbin

Reaction score
I've wrenched on a few. Their not any worse than anything else I've worked on as far as ease of maintence goes. The trucking company I usto work for has about a dozen of the 500 hp models in some Freightliner Class 8s running around. I never heard any complaints about them from the drivers. Is fun to get into the DDEC system to see what the drivers have been upto tho.

Nathan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online