Franken-injectors

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Does anybody know or has anybody experimented with combining injector parts from different codes? I have 2 sets of "B" codes and 1 set of "G" codes. I would leave the corresponding pintle and nozzle the same, but I was curious about the other stuff.

I've noticed some minor differences like spring length and quantity of shims, but otherwise is the same. Would it hurt to try? And just curious what happens when you swap pintles and nozzles from different codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The G code spring pops at around 2200 lbs. Most all other codes pop at 1850 lbs. You might trey pop testing at 2400 lbs and report back. The higher pop pressure puts more strain on the injection pump so don't feel like you will get 125,000 miles from it. I hear the performance gain is worth the pressure increase. I personally have not done this but do believe in it...

Last edited:

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. It was interesting to see all the shims in the B codes. The spring was quite a bit shorter than the G codes... Why not add a coil and cut down on shims...

Good to know those pressure differences though.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary has one too many 0's. Should be 2200.

Never tried that, don't know even know why you would want to do that. Yup, the springs are different. You can shim the BB codes up to 2200, but not more than that, or the spring would be completely collapsed.

Why not add a coil and cut down on shims..
Spring tension.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd try the 2,400 psi for long if at all. Even Anderson at R&D dropped from 2,300 to 1,800 psi on his injectors he sells. Should tell you something about higher pop pressures.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
How necessary is it to keep the same needle and nozzle together?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very important to keep the same needle and nozzle together, they are machined together and wear together, you maybe able to swap them but they will never work/spray right again.

As for pop pressure, I have brand new g codes from Stanadyne and they pop at 1800 - 1850 psi, I have some bb that I set to 2200 psi and all it did was give me heat soak issues so I'd stick with 1800 ish psi range.

A side note from what I noticed, Stanadyne injectors tend to have lots of shims and CAV/Delphi use thick spacers in their injectors.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Very important to keep the same needle and nozzle together, they are machined together and wear together, you maybe able to swap them but they will never work/spray right again.

As for pop pressure, I have brand new g codes from Stanadyne and they pop at 1800 - 1850 psi, I have some bb that I set to 2200 psi and all it did was give me heat soak issues so I'd stick with 1800 ish psi range.

A side note from what I noticed, Stanadyne injectors tend to have lots of shims and CAV/Delphi use thick spacers in their injectors.

Noted! I think I'll keep pop pressures at 1850ish. I'll also make sure the needles and nozzles stay together.

I have also noticed my B codes (United Technologies, Italy) have about 7 shims and my G codes (Delphi) have about 2.

I'm almost done sonic cleaning the parts, so now I'm just waiting for some of the last pieces of my pop tester to arrive!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injector brand denotes how they are shimmed and sprung. Dont go over 1900. my truck hates the 2100 psi g codes in there now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ, what are the symptoms that your truck has with the g codes?

I'm betting it low on performance and smokes with slightly less fuel mileage thrown in for giggles. Am interested too. Will compare to what I had.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
What part of the G code injectors makes them perform poorly? Is the spring the culprit?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new g codes I have pop around 1800 to 1850 psi, the bb codes I shimmed to 2100psi ran and didn't smoke but seamed to be less power and it didn't like to start when it was hot, started within a turn of the crank though when cold started.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting it low on performance and smokes with slightly less fuel mileage thrown in for giggles. Am interested too. Will compare to what I had.

Exactly, not smooth running either. that may be the pressure changing. Ill be swapping them soon with what I will soon be selling for injectors and will see if the old girl perks up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part of the G code injectors makes them perform poorly? Is the spring the culprit?

I think the pintle design is for less smoke, with an engine like mine that needs more fuel at injector opening the G doesnt cut it. Im not going to spend a lot of timne figuring it out till later this fall. I may reset them to 1850 and see if that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online