Found the ACTUAL problem

gatorman21218

Reaction score
im pretty sure if you fill up the filter with atf then thats what shell start on. the big question is will she stay running after all that atf is passed through.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: why don't you just pull the fuel line down by your mechanical fuel pump, run a separate hose with an electric pump and drain everything that's in there into a remote gas can(s). Pulling the tank sounds like a lot more work than its worth to get the gasoline out of there.

Just my .02

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another good reason for an electric pump mod! I would drain the IP by opening the fuel screw access cover before you fill the filter with whatever.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dumped 2 gallons of 10W-30 in the tank, followed by 5 gallons of Diesel fuel. New fuel filter with half ATF half diesel mix. Charged the batteries and cranked on it. Even committed the worst sin and used ether. Truck would not even make an attempt to start. What to do next?:confused:

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe telling what happened from the beginning may help. Last week i drove to school and it started no problems. After i got out of school, it wouldn't start, i held the GP button for about 30secs and it would not do anything. Then my buddy that used to have a 6.9 came up and pushed on the little button thing on the fuel filter mount and it started. Went home got changed, started the truck and it died. Cranked for about 10secs and it started while i was holding the throttle. Went to work, when i got off it started fine. the next morning it did the whole not starting. I pushed the button after i had cranked on it and it would start and immidiatly die, next time i tried i held the gas and it started and ran but i was on a hill and had to shut the hood so i shut it off and after that it has not made any attempt at starting.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
is air coming out when you push the valve? if so there is a problem there. you might also want to purge the high pressure side of the system to make sure that is clear.

loosen up your injector lines at the injectors and make sure good fuel is coming out when you are cranking it over.

did you do a match test to a sample to see if it really was gas?

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did not do a match test and yes there is air at first but i purged it last night to where it was purely fuel and it still didn't start

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your pulling air into the system. Try to tighten the fitting from the lift pump to the filter. That 3/8 inch hard line has an olive in the filter side. Then try tightening up the two fittings from the filter to the injection pump. That 5/16 line has an olive on both ends. How old is the lift pump.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your pulling air into the system. Try to tighten the fitting from the lift pump to the filter. That 3/8 inch hard line has an olive in the filter side. Then try tightening up the two fittings from the filter to the injection pump. That 5/16 line has an olive on both ends. How old is the lift pump.

everything is as far as i know original, pump, injectors, everything

gatorman21218

Reaction score
maybe by disconnecting those lines you disturbed those olives gary is talking about. On my truck they were so hard they were like plastic. the gas may have disturbed them too.

"i held the GP button for about 30secs and it would not do anything." Yikes. are you saying that after holding the button the truck wouldnt start or the plugs werent working at all? 30 seconds is about 3 times as long as you should burn them. They are most likely burnt out now.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just got home, didn't use the glow plugs, shot a tiny bit of ether in. It started but then died after a couple of seconds. Sounds like air in the lines, but from where

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the fuel filter and see if it is full. If it is not full crank the truck over for a few seconds and see if the fuel is coming out of the threaded pipe that goes into the fuel filter. The fuel pump could be bad.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i push on that little valve on the side of the fuel filter mount, fuel pours out. If i crank some more, more fuel pours out so i would think it would be good

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump could still be bad. These trucks will run with a bad fuel pump but would have a hard time starting. Ask me how I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online