Found the ACTUAL problem

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as it turns out, the return lines weren't sucking in air, the pump and injectors didn't fail, nothing mechanical........

SOMEBODY PUT GAS IN THE TANK!!!!-cuss

Just tried starting it again while hitting the purger, smelled my hand, turns out to be gas-cuss-cuss-cuss:mad::mad::mad:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta watch them Green and Black handles at the Flying J there. When the button say's 87 that ain't diesel.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i have put in it since i got it was $9 and we made sure it was diesel that we were putting in

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure it is gasoline get some from the tank put it in a small can and take a match to it. If it lights up quickly then it is gas if it doesn't then it is diesel. It might sound crazy to do that but a small quantity in a small can wont hurt. Just use a small amount

I was bleeding mine this past winter and it kind of smelled like gasoline but it was diesel when it would not start.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i smelled down in the tank and it smells like pure gas straight out of the nozzle, no diesel smell at all

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok....how much gas is in there? Or rather how full is that tank?

If it's not FULL full, dump a gallon or two of straight 10W30 or whatever motor oil in there (new jugs) and then top up with diesel.

Install a NEW fuel filter filled with a mix of ATF and diesel to helpo dilute teh gas in the lines and have at'r!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i smelled down in the tank and it smells like pure gas straight out of the nozzle, no diesel smell at all

If you are absolutely sure it is gasoline and was absolutely sure it was pumped from a diesel pump you may want to contact the station where it happened at. They should be held responsible and their fuel provider should be responsible as well. It probably happened to others as well and I am sure they are aware of the problem. It can be easily proven with a receipt because the receipt will say diesel.

Even though their is a no self serve law in NJ I pump my own for that reason and because these guys pull nozzles out spilling fuel on peoples cars. I've had pump jockeys ask me if I wanted gas or diesel with them not knowing my truck is diesel. I've also had them come up to me and say do you know that's diesel your putting in your truck? How stupid can they be.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
LOL....someone would have to be STUPID to dump 5 gallons of gas in your tank just to **** you off....that's like $25!!

I'd be putting a "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" sticker on my Grand Am's gas tank cover if that was the case!!!

But if you have the recipt...so what Compu Doc says.....it might turn out in your favor!!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
LOL....someone would have to be STUPID to dump 5 gallons of gas in your tank just to **** you off....that's like $25!!

I'd be putting a "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" sticker on my Grand Am's gas tank cover if that was the case!!!

But if you have the recipt...so what Compu Doc says.....it might turn out in your favor!!

I had a kid run out yelling "thats diesel you're putting in" in both my suburban and the same kid in my mercedes diesel.

Kid didn;t know they made a newer body diesel suburban or diesel mercedes sedans. that was funny as hell.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i know it was diesel we were putting in because the damn ford filler necks made it foam up and it had the smell of diesel. the truck has 3/4 of a tank in it now. Just waiting for a not rainy part of the day to drop the tank and drain it

sassyrel

Reaction score
well i know it was diesel we were putting in because the damn ford filler necks made it foam up and it had the smell of diesel. the truck has 3/4 of a tank in it now. Just waiting for a not rainy part of the day to drop the tank and drain it

save yourself the hassle,,and do as goofy said..after you put the 10w30 in the tank,start the truck,,and go down the street,,weaving back and forth,,to mix it all up..then drive it!!!!!!!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the fuel filter off and pour it out. Fill it with diesel and stick it back on there and start it up after you do what the others said and put lots of diesel in the tank or some sort of oil to make a mixture the engine can burn properly.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so basiclly
-go buy 2 gallon of new motor oil and dump in the tank
-put about a gallon of diesel after the oil
-put my new fuel filter on with a ATF/diesel mix

and it will start?