Found the ACTUAL problem

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said previously these trucks will still run with a bad fuel pump so the answer to your question "would it try to start with a bad pump? " the answer is yes.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the truck don't even try to start. It will just crank and crank with no signs of starting at all

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the truck don't even try to start. It will just crank and crank with no signs of starting at all

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?. Recently their was a guy with an IDI whose truck would not start. Even after me spraying ether in the intake as he was cranking (we left the ignition switch on for two minutes before using ether so the glow plugs were not on) it still would not even try to start.

He went out and bough a fuel filter and a gallon of diesel. Before installing the new filter I had him crank the truck with the filter off. No fuel was coming out where it should have been if the filter was in place. His fuel pump was bad. I then filled the filter with clean diesel installed it and again as he was cranking I sprayed ether in the intake and is started right up and continued to run with a bad fuel pump.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any white smoke from the tailpipe when cranking? If not try cracking an injector line open and see of your getting fuel to the injectors.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then your getting fuel to the injectors if your getting white smoke at the tail pipe. When you use the ether are you craning it while spraying or are you spraying and then cranking? If your spraying and then cranking it might take 3-4 shots of ether before it will fire up. Don't turn the ignition off in between cranking. You do not want the glow plugs cycling or even on. Also wait a few minutes with the ignition on before using the ether.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have push button glow plugs so i don't have to worry about that. i have been spraying then cranking.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spraying then cranking mine had to be sprayed with a good blast 3-4 times before it started. See if you could get someone to crank the truck for you while giving it short blasts of ether. Have them hold the pedal down a little but not wide open.

If it doesn't fire then or attempt to then I have no idea what could be wrong.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hold on. Too much ether will DESTROY that engine.

You are getting white smoke at the tailpipe...you have fuel!

But it sounds to me like you are having a GP issue.

Did you check for voltage at the plugs? If so, did you use a test light? Use a 55 watt or so 12 volt headlight to check for AMPS!! Volts is only ONE part of the equation.

Now, check the glow plugs for functionality. Hook a test light to the POSITIVE side of a battery in the truck, and touch the top of each glow plug with the wire off. If the test light lights up, the plug is good. If there is no light up, replace that plug.

NOW, regarding the ether. Make sure the GP's are cold...being manual push buttons this should be an easy feat lol...don't push the button at all.

Pull the air dleaner lid off. Now take a big screwdriver and cross the starter solenoid's two big lugs (the solenoid on the inner passenger fender)

ONCE YOU HAVE MADE A WHIRL OR TWO AND YOU SEE WHITE SMOKE, THEN SHOOT A 1/2 SECOND BURST INTO THE INTAKE WHILE STILL WHIRLING OVER. NO LONGER THAN ABOUT 1 SECOND, AND THIS IS OFTEN TOO MUCH.

Keep the solnoid crossed and listen for a kick. If it starts, let go of the solenoid. If it just kicks, keep whirling it over and give it a light spray again.

DO NOT JUST EMPTY THE CAN INTO THE INTAKE!! lol....BOOM!!

Try this and post back.

Brake cleaner is a MUCH better alternative to ether!

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had mom crank while i sprayed very little ether. It started and ran for a second or two then died like you shut the ignition off. Did this again and it did the same thing

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when it fires up floor it for a min. then slowly let off the gas peddle until its at a idle

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Air leak or bad lift pump. Your not getting enough fuel to the injection pump to run the engine continuasly.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Sounds like a lift pump. When it stalls pulls the fuel filter. Half full means bad pump. Also sounds like you killed your gps. What kind do you have. Any thing other than AC60gs cant be run more than 10 to 15 seconds with being burnt to a crisp. If you have autolites and you held them that long. Man are you gunna have fun!!!

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are bosch gp's. I tried doing the holding it to the floor and it just died no matter how i let out.