Found On Road Dead

HEAD HUNTER

Designated Decoy
Reaction score
I have a 96 (company truck) totally stock. It wouldn't start, keep in mind my diesel mech. has only worked on old diesels and new cat and cummins. None of use have experience with a powerstroke. replaced glow plug relay, truck is fine for 3 days. On the 4th day it died on the way home. 5 minutes later it fired up and ran fine the rest of the way. Fuel filter is fresh, fuel is clean and fresh. What could cause this? Now is the time to fix things. We are probably snowed out for a awhile now. Got about 2 feet of snow over the weekend.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a Cam Position Sensor going bad.
When it dies and you crank it over does the tach show any RPM's ?

HEAD HUNTER

Designated Decoy
Reaction score
I ran it down to the international shop this morning and it had thorwn a p0344 code. CPS it is. Bought a new one for $95. It's not in yet though.

Thanks for the help boys.

oh yeah its a 97, not a 96, my bad. I never drive it.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Headhunter
That CPS is held in buy a bolt with a 10MM head that is tight as HELL so make sure you use a good 6 point 10MM socket on it or you may round off the head of the bolt.
This is assuming that the CPS has never been taken out before.

HEAD HUNTER

Designated Decoy
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jefe-Rat
Headhunter
That CPS is held in buy a bolt with a 10MM head that is tight as HELL so make sure you use a good 6 point 10MM socket on it or you may round off the head of the bolt.
This is assuming that the CPS has never been taken out before.

Your tellin me. SOB that bolt was tight. Smashed 2 knuckles on the water pump too, once I chisled enough mud off it to find it. But it is all over now. Truck runs fine so far.

Thanks again

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by HEAD HUNTER
Your tellin me. SOB that bolt was tight. Smashed 2 knuckles on the water pump too, once I chisled enough mud off it to find it. But it is all over now. Truck runs fine so far.

Thanks again

How about that someone found there Ford Diesel Problem without consulting " The Diesel Stop":D

CHarlan

Reaction score
All that for the CPS?? What a pain. I am not familiar with the Ford Diesel, but 2 busted knuckles would have my temper through the roof! Cheers to ya!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70