found donor truck for (trans)plant

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i did some riding around today to see if i could find a truck with a standard trans and posible turbo. came across a 89 f350 with a 7.3 and a five speed trans. there where two trucks there, the 89 and a powersmoke. im not interested in the powersmoker but want the 89 for the trans but im not to sure what these fellows are trying to acomplished with these trucks. it looks like they took the 5sp out of the ps and installed it behind the idi or is that even possible? if it is possible to use the ps trans behind a idi is it a direct bolton or is there any modifications to make it work. im not into a half butt job on puting a trans into my truck that was not ment to be in it to start off with, i like everything as close to factory as possible:dunno. i did notice that the truck was equiped with a serpentine belt setup is this something that ford offered are was this also off the ps. this is a picture of another members truck but its the same set up.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG] the only thing i was unhappy with, there is no turbo:puke:. i would realy like everybodies input on this so if i can use the trans i think i can get this truck pretty cheap.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IDI came with a serpentine belt setup in 92. the trans will bolt up but the flywheel wont fit from the PS

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
if it came off a PS, chances are it's the ZF S5-47......not the lower torque rated S5-42. I know the bolt patterns are the same because we had a 1997 F450 7.3 powersmoke with the S5-42 bolted to it.....not sure why because the 97's all should have had the S5-47.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI came with a serpentine belt setup in 92. the trans will bolt up but the flywheel wont fit from the PS
type4 so what your saying is as long as i use the flywheel and pressureplate off of our idi's with the ps trans its all a bolton installation.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it came off a PS, chances are it's the ZF S5-47......not the lower torque rated S5-42. I know the bolt patterns are the same because we had a 1997 F450 7.3 powersmoke with the S5-42 bolted to it.....not sure why because the 97's all should have had the S5-47.
which one is the better of the two. i want the pulling power, but i dont want to cut my throat with fuel consumption. as long as i can stay about in the same ballpark as the e4doa but have the pulling capability of the 5sp ill be happy.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
which one is the better of the two. i want the pulling power, but i dont want to cut my throat with fuel consumption. as long as i can stay about in the same ballpark as the e4doa but have the pulling capability of the 5sp ill be happy.

the s5-47 was rated for more torque....it could handle 470 Ft. Lbs. of input torque where as the earlier S5-42 was only rated at 420 Ft. Lbs. The S5-42 was produced from 1987 through to early 1995 when the S5-47 took over. The S5-47 has slightly larger inner bearings, which makes it stronger.

The S5-47 has a close ratio gearset for the diesel.
1st-5.08
2nd- 2.60
3rd- 1.53
4th- 1.0
5th- 0.77
Rev.- 4.66

The E4OD has a final OD ratio of 0.71....slightly lower than the ZF, but you always get slightly better milage with a stick shift versus an automatic....I would stick that 5 speed in there!

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
type4 so what your saying is as long as i use the flywheel and pressureplate off of our idi's with the ps trans its all a bolton installation.

Yes I would like an answer to this question as well? There seems to be more PS 5 speeds out there? What about 6 speeds?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yes I would like an answer to this question as well? There seems to be more PS 5 speeds out there? What about 6 speeds?

Check this post out on a ZF 6 speed conversion in a 2wd IDI. The bolt pattern on the bell housing is close, but the top two bolts will not line up, there is no speedo cable hole (the rearend is the speed sender making this work better on a '92 and up truck) and it's larger in size than a 5 speed so you will have to modify the floow with either a cut off wheel and welder, or a BFH, you will need to re-drill the flywheel and a couple other things....not worth putting in a 6 speed.

The ZF S5-42 off the IDI's and the ZF S5-47 off the powerstrokes will interchange wthout a problem...you can take a PSD 5 speed and bolt it to an IDI, and take and IDI 5 speed and bolt it to a PSD.

If I could find a PSD 5 speed for under $700 around these parts I would have one stuck in my F250....I may put a t-19 in my dually behind a 7.3 IDI....simplicity and streghth at it's best!:sly

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i went and talked to the owner of the truck today to see how much he was asking for it. i know the price is probly not to steep for some of yall, but its a little more than i would be willing to spend. hes asking $1200.00 for the truck, but the only things that are good is the trans,motor,and rearend. just about everything else on the truck is scrap iron lol. give me yalls opinion on the price.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's not too bad for all you're getting. my usual target price on a parts truck with a good motor is $700. for a while this summer I was swimming in parts trucks too.cookoo

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the more i sit here and think about it the more i take into consideration that he bought a new dualmass clutch kit and all the changeover parts are at hand. no searching for parts there all there.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
For $1200 it would be sittin in my yard! It's got a running 7.3 (which go for about $700 and up in my parts) a working PSD ZF (another $700 in my area) and the rearend with gears...(which would bring $500+ around here).....that's almost $2000 in parts....plus you'll be getting the frame and whatever other parts you will need. Is the parts donor a dually?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the more i sit here and think about it the more i take into consideration that he bought a new dualmass clutch kit and all the changeover parts are at hand. no searching for parts there all there.
wrong.
the pedal bracket assy on a 87-91 is completely different from a 92-97.
everyting else will graft over.
good part is the pedal bracket assy is still being sold at the dealer. last time I bought one was $120.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $1200 it would be sittin in my yard! It's got a running 7.3 (which go for about $700 and up in my parts) a working PSD ZF (another $700 in my area) and the rearend with gears...(which would bring $500+ around here).....that's almost $2000 in parts....plus you'll be getting the frame and whatever other parts you will need. Is the parts donor a dually?
yes its a dually rearend. the only thing the owner wants to keep is the bed, but thats no problem for me.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
470 ft/lbs of torue is all a ZF can take? Thats comming really close to the limit of what a turbocharged IDI can deliver. Especially the 7.3 with a few more cubes.

Am I the only one that is a little nervous of that rating? or is that more of a general guidline that has been passed by chipped powerstrokes already?