Found a Set Of New Heads

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I got home from canada I found the set of new bare heads I paid $101.50 each for. I had forgotten that I bought them.....:dunno I do remember now the shop I bought them from called me while I was in Yellowstone Park Montana. Funny how important things get forgotten sometimes. Anyway, they will be ported and milled for my next 7.3 buildup. These heads will have the precup chambers opened up and maybe ceramic coated to stop the heat going into the coolant. I will need to check how hot the heads need to be for the coatings to cure. I think it was 300 degrees. Any thoughts on heating the heads up to that temp???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. I plan to install this new motor in my current truck. The motor in it now is great, I just want a little more and I know how and what to do to get it. I will dyno the motor thats in the truck now but after I put more miles on it. I have less than 9000 miles on it now. About heating the heads up to 300 degrees. The shop that does the ceramic coating has the oven. I just don't know what will happen to the heads from hesting them up to 300 degrees. I don't want a crack or warp. Thats my concern. No way will I ceramic coat the entire head surface. Any crack in the ceramic would kill the motor.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
We ran ALL cast iron to be cleaned through the oven. Loaded it up when we went home, it was still to hot to handle in the morning. The timer was set on 4-6 hours at 450 to 500 degrees. Dried all the oil, then they were shot blasted and washed. Shot blasted warm, not scolding hot, and washed in a hot wash tank while still warm. Hot tank was just at 200 degrees. Like I said, we left at 5:00 PM with a heating oven, I came in and opened up at 7:00 and even with welding gloves, the parts were still hot. We baked aluminum to be welded or cleaned to 350 or 400.

So, what I'm saying is, they'll be safe at 300! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828