Ford Recall 09S09

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I just got a recall letter from Ford about my truck. Seems like a "speed control deactivation switch...may not leak brake fluid posing a risk of fire...."

What, something that DOESN'T leak may cause a fire?

Does anyone have any information not contained in the "standard" recall letter?

It may affect others of you, here, and you may be eligible for reimbursement if you already paid to have this fixed.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea thats been around for along time now. i forget when ford made that update/recall but its been at least a few years. sure takes them a long time to get that stuff sent out....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should say that it does leak or could leak. I think the issue is something on the master cylinder that can drip on a circuit that is hot even with the key off. Some trucks were reported to have burned up sitting in garages. :dunno

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
It should say that it does leak or could leak. I think the issue is something on the master cylinder that can drip on a circuit that is hot even with the key off. Some trucks were reported to have burned up sitting in garages. :dunno

Mel,
THAT is what I expected it would have said. Maybe someone at FoMoCo failed to proof read it, but it really says that the component does not leak, and poses the fire hazard.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
"speed control deactivation switch...may not leak brake fluid posing a risk of fire...."

" Technical writing is a lost art" Quote my late Father...1966. Looks like things aren't getting any better for the industry :rolleyes:

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about this recall is I asked the local dealer about it and was told "No recalls were outstanding on my vehicle." Pretty much the end of the discussion-could not even get them to look at my vehicle parked not 10' away to see for themselves the recall was not complied with on my F250. [Inline fuses or fuseable link is very easy to spot]

So, after a while I call the 1-800 helpline, and got basicallly the same response. About 3 weeks later I received a letter asking about their customer service experience.....believe me I told them!!!! About two weeks later this recall was announced! From what I can tell it is a second look at an old recall. Just happenstance? I would like to think not! Still have not received my notification letter!

FWIW 1994 F250, 4x4, NA diesel, w/cruise and PB.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Funny thing about this recall is I asked the local dealer about it and was told "No recalls were outstanding on my vehicle." Pretty much the end of the discussion-could not even get them to look at my vehicle parked not 10' away to see for themselves the recall was not complied with on my F250. [Inline fuses or fuseable link is very easy to spot]

So, after a while I call the 1-800 helpline, and got basicallly the same response. About 3 weeks later I received a letter asking about their customer service experience.....believe me I told them!!!! About two weeks later this recall was announced! From what I can tell it is a second look at an old recall. Just happenstance? I would like to think not! Still have not received my notification letter!

FWIW 1994 F250, 4x4, NA diesel, w/cruise and PB.

A lot of times a recall may be outstanding on a vehicle but if a vehicle is older , a local dealer doesen't want to fool with it, I presume because it may be harder to collect from the factory on recall service orders on older vehicles. That seems to happen with a lot of older vehicles that have outstanding recalls.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Recall 09s09 is a "speed control deactivation switch". It applies to most but not all e and f series from 198? On. There is a secondary brake pressure switch on the master cylinders of the affected vehicles. This switch is screwed into the end of the output pressue side of the master cylinder. Due to brake fluids corrosivness and the pressures the switch comes in contact with it can develope an internal leak. This would be no big deal, but the genious engineer that designered the circuit saved a few cents and left the fuse out of a full time hot circuit. Brake fluid could leak into the connector, then could cause a high resistance short (directly to battery and ground) that could heat enough to ignite the brake fluid. The recall is in place after a few vehicles ignited and burnt up in the middle of the night with no one around.

If your concerned, disconnect the secondary switch. Or send me a pic of your mastercylinder and i can tell u if it needs the recall or not. The harness is only a bit if i remember right.

Punk

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late for me to take a picture tonight but yes, it DOES have the switch on the end of the master cylinder.

What happens/or doesn't happen, if I disconnect the switch as you mention?

sootman73

Reaction score
you wont have cruise control. the new harness is like $12. i bought one not even knowing where it went as mine was removed and placed with a pipe plug...

they just didn't use the cruise. but you can just cut the wires and splice them together and the cruise will work just fine. thats what the ford dealership did for me because i wanted cruise and would have had to of ordered a new plug for the harness since it was all burned and corroded up.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea i got one today too! funny that i owned my truck for two years and finally get one while my friend got one on for his f150 a year ago and i owned my truck....

i see the confusion about the "leak/not leak" sentence but its backwards like that on purpose. read the sentence again and at the beginning its says that " ford cannot be confident in it not leaking" trickery of words to tell people there may be a leak without actually saying it leaks.