Ford Diesel Van makes it to the South Pole

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
i HATE those things. We get those 4x4 converted vams in all the time at work cause no one else will work on them. Havent seen a 6x6 yet but the 4x4 are bad enough. All but a few are v10 gas with random mismatch of parts to make the 4 wheel drive. Vans shouldnt exist and 4 wheel drive vans are junk.

Rant off

Punk

DragRag

Reaction score
Wow, that van is gay. But, I had a quigley 4x4 van, and loved it, it was an 05' with a 6.0. Kept it for 36k miles from new, and had to sell it, becasue I just couldn't afford to keep it any longer. Had no problems with it, just needed to reduce the fleet some. Wish I had another one, prefferably with a 7.3 powerstroke or IDI Turbo. My wife absolutely loved that vehicle also.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gay or not, it can drive in places most 4x4 trucks would just sink - function over form guys, the way it should be. And punk, it is minivans that are tangible proof of the evil in the universe, fullsize vans are rather nice - we drove to the races in one of the super-extended E350s, only this one was converted to a dually rear, I have to say it was like glued to the road and even the big 30ft enclosed car trailer behind it loaded up to the max GWV didn't faze it much at all. So guess what I'm gonna own me some day - yeps, a looong E350 with a diesel and a dually rear, if it's a 4x4 that's all the better :D

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
My hat is off to any poor soul that gets an e series with a diesel. the gas are gutless and the diesels are an absolute terror to work on. The reason we get to do the cab off repair procedure is from the earlier e series and the fact that you have to tear the entire front off the van to get to the engine and even then it normally has to come out for any semi serious repair.

I see where a van is a must in some applications, but I suffer along in my crew cab fine. lol

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that it tossed a tensioner on the way down too, but they didn't have much to say about it, like it was no big deal. :dunno Pretty cool van if you ask me. I see nothing but testosterone. ;Sweet

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Hey!! :backoff Stop picking on 4x4 vans! You can take alot of people & stuff more comfortable then a pick-up. Mines 4x4 & I'd really like to convert the wifes too! The newer ones are a pain to work on & thats why I drive the old ones .;Sweet

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
sounds like someone didn't watch the A-Team. i'd love to have a full size diesel van.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 1800 liters of fuel at $22 a gallon, that's got to be a world record for a fillup!

Paul B

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like someone didn't watch the A-Team. i'd love to have a full size diesel van.
I think punk's referring to the issues with working on a van, more than driving it. IMHO vans certainly have their place, but with how cramped the engine compartment is, van repairs make truck repairs look easy. I like driving Ford's full-size vans, but if I was wrenching on them on a regular basis, I'd probably be swearing at them too. I was lucky with my old E-350; the engine never gave me any trouble ;Sweet