Ford 4 cyl industrial engine

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
This is in an old Leroi compressor. It used to run 5 years ago. After messing w it for about a half hour while charging battery i tried to turn it over by the fan:rotflmao. Well that didnt work , so i put a braker bar on the crank bolt. NOPE, Seized-cuss. Then the oil was over full, noticed water on the tip of the dip stick. Cracked drain plug and i get coolant, I figure at least 2 quarts.:eek:
So it would make since to me that the block is cracked, pistons are seized, so i need and engine. Anyone have a clue where i could find one? I checked craigslist and ebay but nothin

Or has anyone evre run a air compressor w an 8N? off the PTO

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Not an air compressor, but I know it's possible. I've seen auxilliary hydraulic pumps run off the PTO's. On my grandpa's wood splitter we run a PTO hydraulic pump for it. I've run it on our 3400 with no problem(bout the same size as an 8n). As long as it's the right RPM don't see why you couldn't.

sassyrel

Reaction score
if you could find a place that used to deal with, or still does with industrial engines--they could tell you what base ENGINE that is, and you maybe could find a block out of something else--and switch the externals--could have been used in a tractor--i know they also used them in a lot of ag machines.swathers,mowers,corn detasslers,et al.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Could fab up a 3 pt mount and drive shaft for the 8N.;Sweet

Send it on up and I tell ya how it works.:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i just relized. My 8N is not enough Hp. the 4cyl that is in the compressor is close to 50 My 8n is only 23

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's a thought.
Some of the old Clark forklifts ran a Continental 4 cylinder engine. I'm sure there may be a good source of power plants for ya that way.
Or snag an old Perkins.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I borrowed my boss' compresor to do what i need to get done on this job. His is the exact same compressor but it has the continental engine. His works great except for the broken ring. It burns a gallon of oil an hour:eek:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i tried to buy it off of him sinc he dont use it, then i could fix his and have mine for parts, but he dont want to sell:dunno

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
If it is a pushrod 4 cyl overhead valve it is a 172 or 192. The were used in the late 50' early 60's tractors like the NAA and Jubilee. They were sold as industrial engines at least thru the early 70's probly longer. They are bullitproof and cheap to fix.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
actually it could be a 134 172 or a 192. I have a an engine manual for them, I just dont know which one of the 3 it is

sassyrel

Reaction score
If it is a pushrod 4 cyl overhead valve it is a 172 or 192. The were used in the late 50' early 60's tractors like the NAA and Jubilee. They were sold as industrial engines at least thru the early 70's probly longer. They are bullitproof and cheap to fix.

thanks,didnt rem which!!!! but have seen them in a lot of diff ag machines. believe gehl also used it in two models of the skidsteers, and not all that long ago.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the ones I did at evergreen were not cheap to fix. If the crank is bad, toss the engine and find something else. Used ones are a grand from engine parts suppliers.
Put a 302 in it, lots of leroi's had them in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk