For You Guys Looking for a Brownie

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx I'll check it out! Do you know what the overdrive gear on this is? .84?

I would always defer to RLDSL with respect to auxillary boxes but I was taught rear end ratio*main box ratio*brownie ratio to give final ratio. Lets assume you have an E40D with O/D at .71, further assume the Brownie is a Spicer 5831D like mine or B like RLDSL's with an O/D of .85, finally you have told us your running 4.10s so:
4.10*.71*.85=2.47 in 2OD...someone will correct me if the math is wrong but it seems valid, for example I have a T18 with no O/D and no brownie installed and (3.55*1) =3.55 or my final ratio which is correct if I had a ZF5 it would be (3.55*.77)=2.73 which also seems right, all you're doing is adding another gear ratio to give you a numerically lower or higher gear in terms of math.....

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yea, i think i will jump on it if it is still there calvin. pm me the details of it and we will go from there....

wmoguy

Reaction score
I would always defer to RLDSL with respect to auxillary boxes but I was taught rear end ratio*main box ratio*brownie ratio to give final ratio. Lets assume you have an E40D with O/D at .71, further assume the Brownie is a Spicer 5831D like mine or B like RLDSL's with an O/D of .85, finally you have told us your running 4.10s so:
4.10*.71*.85=2.47 in 2OD...someone will correct me if the math is wrong but it seems valid, for example I have a T18 with no O/D and no brownie installed and (3.55*1) =3.55 or my final ratio which is correct if I had a ZF5 it would be (3.55*.77)=2.73 which also seems right, all you're doing is adding another gear ratio to give you a numerically lower or higher gear in terms of math.....

Cool thx! I used this sites Calculator, and if I did it right? If so looks like I'd be right around 2k rpm @ 75mph right? So about a 400 rpm reduction?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
about 4-500 rpm drop is about right. I went from a max of 14mpg empty to 18-20 mpg if I keep it around 62 mph and now even towing heavy with my carhauler I can get 14mpg on the flats ( can't do as well with the 5er as it has a big high flat nose and the carhauler has a chisel nose, makes a huge difference on wind resistance even though they both weigh around 10k ) where it used to top out at 11 mpg loaded down. It really likes running heavy in 4 over and cruising at 62 on the flats on the interstate. I can go all the way to Dallas now and only have to downshift in one place ;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Quit talking about it. Makes me want it more!!! Gota talk to Calvin bout this one......

pegleg

Reaction score
just my luck you'r on the west coast and i'm on the east that brownie is just what i'm looking for my crew-cab project

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
been trying to find one around here for a while, and the 3 speed one is what i wanted too. get that lower reverse gear, and a better overdrive. and considering my roommate for the rally is coming from that area...... it sorta made my choice for me. lol

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Will look into it, nice this is the one on cl has the shifter and was rebuilt once... Duno the history of post 15. And yea I was just waking up, now u go to bed little guy. You need your rest

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to Hijack the post but I have a brownie and shifter id sell have no ideas on what it came out of can take pics of corse Its not an al Case though .

Located IN Plymouth CA 20 Miles East of Sacramento iv had it for 10 years never installed as i bought an 88 7.3 with a GV in it right after i got the brownie.

Was Keeping in hopes to put it in a mercedes 309D I had but lost my shop space ...

so who wants a Brownie I believe its 20 under direct and 20 over.

Chuck

Any more info on this one? Size of yolks? Model number? Got shifters? And how much??

ctp13

Reaction score
Any more info on this one? Size of yolks? Model number? Got shifters? And how much??

ill have to check on yoke size and it will be a measurement since im not versed on that stuff they are substansial but ?... i do have shifter

the how much thing $400 but its heavy and ill package and ship but that cost is on buyer

i have a friend who ships mill vechials he may be able to get it to someplace close for a minimual cost - perhaps

let me get some pics numbers as it all may be of no intrest after you see them ok?

Chuck