Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have my attention, your transmission symptoms are identical to mine. I don't think its possible to post too many updates for this.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it's good to hear transmission line of work is booming.great for him,being able to keep so busy.it's too bad he didn't let you know he was getting backed up though.that's how she goes sometimes.keep us posted.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes keep posted, that's too bad because as a novice this job only took about two five hour days and one three to four hour day from the time we started til we were done. I did not inspect all the parts though, I just installed the tugger kit along with the new converter, and that upgraded pin thing on the pump. All I can say is that when he is done, you should feel like it was worth the wait, shifts are so much crisper now, and you can actually tell when in overdrive. If he wants to he can have your truck back to you by Monday, let's just hope he treats you right, I have no doubt that you will find it was worth the wait.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
One mistake that was made. Always tell the shop guy that you need the truck yesterday. This way you will have it in a week or two.LOL

Winter is the booming time for tranny shops. Snow plows and bad driver create lots of business.:D

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to think I am in the wrong business and should have gone into trans work. He did call me this afternoon and said that the trans is out and he will be opening it up on Monday. He said he will call me on Monday once he has had a chance to dig into it and let me know what he finds. Stay tuned everybody - we are going slow but we are going to get there!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - finally got a call from the trans guy today. He said the center support should be replaced and so should the forward drum. So, now we are waiting on those parts. Now it will be next week before the truck is done so stay tuned.......

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another small update: The trans guy called me again today to make sure he understood exactly what I wanted done as far as the tugger kit and pump mods were concerned. He said the pump gears look new as does most of the trans. He did tell me that in addition to the new center support and forward drum, he is going to put in new clutches in 2nd and 3rd. It is possible that I may have my truck back on Wednesday!

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal, glad it's moving right along. I sent for my solenoid pack over the weekend, on the edge of my seat wondering what it's going to do for me.

Please remind me, which torque converter did you end up using?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please remind me, which torque converter did you end up using?

Well, I bought a triple disk, billet converter. I got it from a guy who swapped out his idi and E4OD for a cummins and manual trans. He had the E4OD rebuilt and had this great converter installed and ran it for 15k before the idi developed bad blowby so he yanked it and put in the cummins. I got this converter for less than a comparable stock, rebuilt converter, but I am taking a bit of a risk with a used converter. I hate to see good used parts go to waste though, especially if there is a big chunk of money to be saved:sly

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't eBay by any chance, was it? If so, I considered getting that very same converter!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He had the converter listed on eBay, but then the auction expired and nobody bid on it. I contacted the guy after the auction ended and talked to him in greater detail about the converter trying to get a "feel" for if he was being honest about it. Seemed like he was and the converter "looks" to be in great shape, but we are going to find out soon if it really is.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbrumm:

I hope i am not high jacking the thread am just sharing what i am going thru

I came across this great thread as i was searching for an answers to what the professional mechanic can't answer yet maybe he is stunt or simply don't have time to go over the work he did to cause this OD flashing symptom like yours did , YES that's true as i took my F350 which sat for years and after i started driving it had dry cracked front seal causing ATF leak by bell housing BUT I HAD NO Flashing OD what so ever .You would think Easy work right ( front seal , Check pump ,..etc ) .Yes i should done it my self but decided let the shop tear at it as i have no time or Transmission Jack. They done the seal job, u joint and complete Tranny flush with new filter and fresh oil

Ironically now we got the OD flashing and they did not pull the codes YET:yell: . He told me that the Tranny shift completely 100% , TC is operating correctly , RPM's not jumping or any signs of worn TC . Shop told me he is going to look farther into it .

Reading your post i only can find one thing in common is Fluid flush is the reason the TCM triggered that code as you never mentioned you had that problem prior flushing neither did i , However they dropped the pan in mine vs your method . NOW i can't answer how my connectors look , solenoid pack, harness..etc since they are the one caused the issue and they have the truck .

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading your post i only can find one thing in common is Fluid flush is the reason the TCM triggered that code as you never mentioned you had that problem prior flushing neither did i , However they dropped the pan in mine vs your method . NOW i can't answer how my connectors look , solenoid pack, harness..etc since they are the one caused the issue and they have the truck .

The fact that I got the code when I did my transmission flush is just coincidence - the code was probably there already and it just happened that the OD light started to blink at that time. As I understand it, the computer cannot throw Code 62 if the truck is not moving down the road. The computer must have a vehicle speed sensor reading (along with the other sensor readings) to be able to detect TC slip and throw the code. The first place to start with your flashing OD light is to hook up the code reader and find out what code you have and then go from there. It is also a great plan to go through and check all connectors and make sure they are very clean. My trans guy has told me that the TC in my truck was slipping (not a lot - certainly couldn't feel any chatter or hear anything) but it did have some discoloration but no clutch debris in the oil. Apparently got it pulled out before that happened. Good luck with yours - start with electrical checks before moving on to mechanical.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ thanks for the info

I wish i scanned it before i took it, But how many people will scan their cars and trucks if there is no flashing warning or check ENG light :sly

I called a good Old timer Transmission builder as Plan B if this shop couldn't figure it out . He will put a code reader as we driving Like you said and go from there , He said they should of looked at the busing which i don't think they did also there could be a play in the center shaft or something like that known for these 4EOD . He stated that an after market shift kit is good for these transmissions as well you might want to look into that

I am not sure how i am going to square it with this shop if they can't figure it out since they already dropped my Tranny and bolt it back up since they aren't tranny shop .

Keep us posted on the progress

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726