Flexplate R&R

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Based on what i have read from other flexplate threads and what noises my truck is making, i suspect my flexplate is not long for this world...

I have pulled a trans out a vehicle before but it was on a hoist at school with a trans jack and the trans was WAY smaller than mine. I have never done a trans on the ground and one of this size.

Any tips to make it smooth. i do have a local trans guy who has been good to me in the past, i may just take it to him, although he is a first come first serve basis, so i may be a week or so before i get my truck back.

I have read that dealership is the best place for a new flex plate....

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can inspect the flex plate yourself, not to hard to do. Take the dust cover off and check the four (4) nuts holding the TC to the plate, 13mm or 1/2" wrench. You can look up and see any cracks in the plate. The flexplate is $136 from Tousley Ford, you can Google them. Parts Direct 651-484-8888 talk to Mke the one that handles TDS forum parts.

Last edited:

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he treats you good on $, save your self the headache. I've used a cheap adapter plate that sits in place of the pad on a floor jack. Both times its had me wishing I had a real trans jack. For a decent one with some life left in it when I see them people are asking for a couple hundred. Unless you already got one or can borrow one you may want to take that into account when weighing your options.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
How much can you bench? LOL trans jacks are nice but I have never been real impressed with them. I prefer to lift the transmission through the shifter opening if feasible. A cherry picker helps for that.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I"ve done the hoist and vertical trans jack, I've done a big ass Inner tube and a chunck of plywood, I've done ropes strung over frame under trans and a couple guys pulling outwards and my new to me floor jack style of real trans jack, oh ya done bench press way too...

HOIST and vertical trans jack....GOODER

Floor model trans jack GOOD

All the rest

NOT SO GOOD....

Oddly though the tractor inner tube on and under plywood did surprisingly well. LOL

JM2CW

If you cannot get a proper transmission floor jack look at renting one!

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A dry E4OD weighs in at around 300 lbs. No way can a person get that off the ground on top of their chest and press it up to the engine. Do not try to install the bellhousing bolts to pul it in either. Thats a sure way to push the front pump thru the cover. There is a reason the trans wont touch evenly to the engine. Find it and fix it. A long bolt with the head cut off makes a great alignment tool when sliding the trans up to the engine too. Just make sure they are long enough to stick out of the trans bolt hole so you can remove them when done. Or install allthread studs and just put a washer and nut on the end of it.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you borrow one lay it upside down in your bed.if you don't an it's a good heavy one like I had when your stopping pointed down hill it will push the front of your bed forward an kiss your cab!