Flex Plate

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new flexplate from Rock Auto and after installed by trans shop, the whole truck is severely shaking at idle. I haven't heard from Rock Auto yet. Maybe this is wrong p/n? I'm having major trouble trying to find a new flex plate. If a new plate can't be found, can this plate be balanced? Any one have a correct p/n for this engine? 89 7.3 non turbo. E4oD trans.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Need to ask questions before help. Why did you replace the flywheel and what kind was it? We can use 2 completely different plates on any auto trans truck. One is a heavy cast iron wheel with a thin stamped plate for the converter. The other has a welded gear and looks very much like any auto flexplate. If you changed from the heavy to the light plate and did not use a special crank spacer you will have issues. But the shop may have done the correct work but you supplied the wrong flexplate. An 89 engine will not have the turbo balanced plate nor was it offered in that year truck. Only the 93 1/2 to 94 1/2 engine was a true turbo engine requiring a special balanced harmonic balancer and flexplate.

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nit to hijack this thread, but I recently replaced my flex plate. It was cracked all the way around where it bolts to the crank. The one that came off and the used one I installed was the welded gear type that looks like any auto flex plate. It's in a 92 F350, 7.3 diesel. So is this rhe correct one?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Nit to hijack this thread, but I recently replaced my flex plate. It was cracked all the way around where it bolts to the crank. The one that came off and the used one I installed was the welded gear type that looks like any auto flex plate. It's in a 92 F350, 7.3 diesel. So is this rhe correct one?

You have the updated replacement for the old flex/flywheel. Ford started using this plate in 93. At some point the flex/flywheel must have had issues, so it was swapped out.
This plate was used on turbo and N/A engines from late 93 to the end of production.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop told me it has a thin plate that also attached to this torqe converter. I believe this is the original plate. The gear teeth are chewed up from a lot of use. The plate weighs about 34 pounds.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to ask questions before help. Why did you replace the flywheel and what kind was it? We can use 2 completely different plates on any auto trans truck. One is a heavy cast iron wheel with a thin stamped plate for the converter. The other has a welded gear and looks very much like any auto flexplate. If you changed from the heavy to the light plate and did not use a special crank spacer you will have issues. But the shop may have done the correct work but you supplied the wrong flexplate. An 89 engine will not have the turbo balanced plate nor was it offered in that year truck. Only the 93 1/2 to 94 1/2 engine was a true turbo engine requiring a special balanced harmonic balancer and flexplate.

Rock Auto tells me that the part is correct and cannot be out of balance. Replacing plate because gear teeth all chewed up from normal wear. Suspect original plate.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this problem? I am looking for a good p/n and source. Failing that, can the faulty part I received be balanced and by who?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a spare set from an 88 pm me if interested

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I doubt the shake is from being out of balance. The shake can be from the converter. Issues during install. I would pull the tranny to see whats going on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance